Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

h.pylori and diet?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

JoeConway

h.pylori and diet?

Post by JoeConway »

good evening people, i have just been diagnosed with gastritis and h.pylori my doctor said i should probably change my diet but never said what i should and shouldnt be eating with h.pylori, are there restrictions? reading online it suggests going gluten free and dairy free and cut out sugar would this be accurate? i do tend to just stick frozen food in the oven as i care for my daughter who is disabled and every second day has hospital appointments.
any advice would be greatly appreciated as just now i dont know what i should be eating so kind of starving myself until i know what i should or shouldn't be eating.
Thank You

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: h.pylori and diet?

Post by Helico_expert »

you should get rid of your H. pylori, then see if there is a need to change diet.

JoeConway

Post by JoeConway »

i appreciate the feedback, im just clueless about it because i'd never hear of it until i got diagnosed with it recently, so this forum is helping me out alot ... i'am currently on eradication therapy.
am i right by saying it was h.pylori that caused gastritis? only thing i can't figure out is what caused the h.pylori so i could try help the problem.
and what effects does alcohol play? cos i read conflicting stories all over the internet with some claiming it is actually a protective factor against h.pylori, im actually thinking of missing out on the family christmas festives but have no idea the role alcohol has with h.pylori because of the conflicting stories.
thank you for taking the time to reply

Lola28

Post by Lola28 »

Hi guys
I am on day 3 of the nexium H7 meds and feeling sick, bloated & wind. Did anyone else feel this way? I have been drinking kombucha, eating garlic etccc to try and improve the chances of this working. Dreading the next 4 days but hopefully it's worth it.

JoeConway

Post by JoeConway »

i've had nexium in the past and felt sick, dizzy and overall weird. i had asked to be switched to another ppi.
but yes the side effects you have are all reported side effects with nexium, excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines, passing gas and nausea/aggravated nausea which is very common.
if it is bothersome for you i'm sure you're doctor can change the nexium to omeprazole.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

am i right by saying it was h.pylori that caused gastritis?
There are two definition to gastritis. In medical term, gastritis means inflammation in stomach. and almost all gastritis in this definition is caused by H. pylori.

the second meaning of gastritis is commonly described by general public as the symptoms. eg. bloating, reflux, heartburn, etc. H. pylori is responsible to some of them.
i can't figure out is what caused the h.pylori so i could try help the problem.
Normally people catch H. pylori from mother when they are young. The mother will lick the spoon or dummy before giving to the child. This is believed to be the most common way of spreading H. pylori. In adult, we believe that as long as everyone living under the same roof brushes the teeth, the chance of spreading can decrease significantly.
what effects does alcohol play?
Alcohol certainly cannot eradicate H. pylori. Chinese people drink 53% liquor and yet the prevalence is so high in China. Can alcohol prevent catching it? i am not sure. it probably can. but alcohol can damage liver. So, probably not a good idea to use drinking alcohol as an excuse to reduce chance of catching H. pylori.

JoeConway

Post by JoeConway »

Thank you, this information is very helpful to me i just have 1 more thing to ask.
can i still have alcoholic beverages on christmas? i've changed my drink from spirit and mixer to a good quality apple cider. even though it has never brought on symptoms or anything in the past but know the effects it has on the stomach lining.

secondly it is weird that you say china has the highest rate because something i have noticed through the years is if i eat anything with MSG i get bad symptoms and need to vomit, especially when i eat from chinese restaurants, before i got diagnosed with h.pylori
and MSG is massively known ingredient used in chinese food, but i can eat anything without symptoms aslong as that additive isn't in the food and feel fine. I think there might be something there in relation between the MSG and H.Pylori.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

you can have anything you want after stopping the antibiotics, including alcohol.

But you need to remember to get a follow up breath test after all the celebration to make sure your H. pylori is gone.

MSG is like salt. although the mechanism is not definitely clear, but regions with high incident of gastric cancer are commonly regions where salt intake is high. A group of scientist in Boston showed that salt can increase the liquidity of the mucous and allow H. pylori to move around in the stomach.

JoeConway

Post by JoeConway »

That explains my symptoms starting with MSG, i seen my doctor today... my wife got a chinese last night and i thought i wanna test this theory but i tried even a healthy option, breast of chicken, no sauce and boiled rice, 10 mins later i was vomiting, nausea etc all the same stomach problems.
I seen my doctor today who never mentioned anything about a follow up test, she seems to have full faith in the first course working which i finished today. she said i need to start upping my food intake because i wasn't eating properly and introducing veg. and that she wants to ween me off the ppi's as its a catch 22 with them, something like they lower stomach acid and you need stomach acid to kill of bacteria's cant really remember what she said. but i also have a follow up appointment with my gastrologist, so maybe he deals with it or suggests a breath test. but i dont know the procedure of the effects of triple therapy but i dont feel any better or different but saying that the h.pylori might be gone and the gastritis is causing me problems
also what would be the better choice of beverage: a 5 times distilled vodka with fresh orange or a high quality cider? even though i dont drink much its coming to christmas and its usually a family event and at the same time dont want to worsen my condition in any way, i want to try help myself as much as i can.

Thank you for all the information.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It is important to make sure H. pylori is out the system. otherwise you are just wasting time waiting for a recovery that will never come. Therefore, i strongly advise you to get a breath test done after Christmas. Seek second opinion if your original doctor doesnt want to give you the breath test.

The recovery varies from people to people. Some people feels great almost immediately during treatment. Some take years before they feel improvement. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

There is no guideline to diet. You are allowed to eat anything you want. Healthy food with vitamin C is always good. Alcohol is fine. but anything in excessive amount is always bad.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”