Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Which antibiotic regime should I use now?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

ikpap

Which antibiotic regime should I use now?

Post by ikpap »

Hi,
I have known of my Helicobacter infection since last September - I initially had the standard triple therapy (esomeprazole, amoxicillin, clarithromycin) but symptoms persisted. I then had a gastroscope and biopsy confirmed I still had helicobacter (no culture was done). I was then put on Ciprofloxacin/esomeprazole and amoxicillin for 3wks - then had breath test 6wks later which was positive. Then had another gastroscope and biopsies sent for culture.
My culture results are Helicobacter pylori:
Resistant to Clarithromycin, levofloxacin and Metronidazole.
Sensitive to Amoxicillin, Rifampicin and Tetracycline.

Please can you help me with some advice on what drugs I should try next, as I really would like to get rid of this bug once and for all. I have an appt with my gastroenterologist next week but am trying to do all my homework first.

Thank you

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Which antibiotic regime should I use now?

Post by Helico_expert »

You can try

Rabeprazole 20mg 3x a day
Bismuth 240mg 4x a day
Amoxicillin 1000mg 3x a day
Tetracycline 500mg 4x a day

ikpap

Post by ikpap »

Thanks heaps for your reply.
Please can you advise where we get the Bismuth from in Australia - I have a pharmacist friend who said it's not available? Which type of bismuth are you referring to (is there a brand name? ) as my reading indicates there are different forms - bismuth subcitrate vs bismuth subsalycilate?

Also, is this regime affected by mealtimes - do the tablets need to be taken on an empty stomach or with food?

Also, how long a course should I be on - 14days?

Thank you so much

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

In Australia, your pharmacist friend can order from http://trimed.com.au/

ikpap

Post by ikpap »

Hi Heli-expert,

Thanks for all your advice.

I was wondering what you guys think about using N-acetyl Cystine as part of treatment for helicobacter. My reading indicates it might be beneficial? If so, would you use it before a course of therapy or at the same time? Dose?

Thanks

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

the function of N-acetyl Cystine is to reduce the mucous layer in the stomach. The idea is that H. pylori hides under the thick mucous and avoided the antibiotics. I think the reason why antibiotics is the only thing that work is because antibiotics get absorbed in the blood and attack H. pylori from behind the mucous later.

Also, 50% of the stomach ulcer is caused by NSAIDs (pain killer). The reason is because NSAIDs can too reduce the mucous layer, which the stomach acid can then attack the stomach wall.

Also, the reason why intestinal metaplasia (pre-cancer) is reversible, is because these intestinal cells growing in the stomach dont produce mucous and can be cleaned up by the stomach acid.

Lastly, the triple and quadruple therapy, if used correctly, have a cure rate of over 90%. So I dont think there is a need to use N-acetyl Cystine at the moment.

ikpap

Post by ikpap »

Thank you! I am very relieved to hear you say that intestinal metaplasia is reversible, because my biopsies showed I had it, and I was very worried and stressed about the cancer risk.

Cheers

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

it is reversible. however, you should get a follow up endoscopy check up one year later.

ikpap

Post by ikpap »

Hi,
I was wondering what I should do about my children - I am worried I may have infected them and that they may have my hp infection now? What should I do?

Thanks

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Children are normally not affected by HP. However, to prevent potential reinfecrion from them, you should not share food with them.

Keep their oral clean by brushing their teeth should be good enough to reduce transmission risk.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”