Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

My H Pylori Story

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

oli2

My H Pylori Story

Post by oli2 »

It all began when I was about 15 years old, I'm now 20.
15 - 16 yrs old
My face was covered with huge acne pimples that didn't go away or even decrease despite trying several acne face-washes and visiting a dermatologist which prescribed me creams which didn't work, then she prescribed me an antibiotic "dexocycline" for 14 days, which didn't work either.
At the same time, I suffered from severe bloating and gases in my stomach, that I had to go to the bathroom almost every hour. I didn't consider going to a doctor at that time and I thought that it was normal and temporary. I had severe stomach pains often as well, which prevented me from sleeping at the worst cases. At that time, I thought that the pain was because of eating unclean food from street restaurants.
As a kid, I used to be very active and social, but suddenly I became depressed and anxious, I stopped going out and spent most of my time at home.
17-18 yrs old
I started taking Ro-accutane to treat my acne, as I tried all the other options and they failed. I was hesitated at the beginning and my parents were against it due to all the side-effects. However, I went to my dermatologist and asked her to prescribe it to me, I had to do a blood test to check if my liver can handle it. Then I started taking it secretly without my parents knowing. It was prescribed for 6 months, at the same time, I graduated from high school. And started to attend a university abroad as an international student. During the third month of accutane, my hair started falling, I had sever depression and anxiety that I never had before. I stopped taking it and called my dermatologist who said that roaccutane has nothing to do with all these things, and she told me to take biotin supplements for the hair lose. few months after stopping the accutane, my hair started to grow back, my depression improved.
During that time, I still suffered from severe bloating and gases, that was triggered by all types of food, after roaccutane, it became even worse, that it started to cause me lots of embarrassments, I tried to change my diet, I removed all dairy products, but it didn't work, I tried removing gluten as well, and it didn't work either. I did lots of research online about accutane and watched few documentaries about it, it seems that it causes permanent damage to the body, and that its side effects remain forever, which contradicts with the doctors' claim that it leaves the body and all its side effects disappear within two weeks of stopping it. This made me believe that all the symptoms I had where complications of accutane, and that there isn't much that I could do about it, I tried taking multivitamins, and zinc supplements after reading online that they help in repairing the damage caused by accutane. However, they didn't work.
19-20 yrs old
In addition to the previous symptoms, I started to feel tired and dizzy the whole time, sleeping for 13 hours and still feeling sleepy. I ignored that as well and though that it was because of the university stress, etc... and that it's just temporary. During the same period, I often had a bad body odour and breath, acid reflux, despite having a very good personal hygiene, the odour was getting worse over time, that I had to take more than 4 showers a day sometimes, and it didn't help. During the same period, I was eating mostly fast, processed, sugary and fatty foods. I thought that they were the the reason, I tried to reduce fast foods from my diet but wasn't able to fully eliminate it since I didn't know how to cook, and had no enough time to cook due to the university. At the same time as well, I had a constant diarrhoea and constipation, in addition to bloating and severe gases. And I wetted my bed couple of times at night for the first time since I was a kid. I also blamed diet and alcohol (although I barely drank alcohol, about once or twice a month).
I often smelled weird smells in my breath (something I never experienced before), which seemed to come from my stomach, sometimes it was a strong metallic smell, while in the worst cases it smelled like rotten blood. At this point, I stopped all fast food, and tried to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and maintain a healthy diet, but it didn't help. The symptoms kept getting worse over time until I had a bloody diarrhoea during my final exams week, I waited for two days hopping that it gets better, but it didn't, I had 3 days of constant bloody diarrhoea, I went to the hospital, the doctor didn't find any haemorrhoids and asked me for a stool sample. I went back home with the stool sample kit, I was feeling extremely tired, sleepy, and dizzy, despite sleeping for more than 12 hours that day, then next day, the blood stopped, and I didn't go back to the hospital (which I regret). I continued to suffer from all the other symptoms I mentioned earlier, including depression and anxiety.
The bad breath and body odour was getting much worse after bowel movements. After each bowel movements my whole body, and breath will smell like feces with a hint of whatever I ate that day. Although I don't eat onions, garlic, or spicy food.
I went to an "allergy test clinic" which uses a method called "Bioresonance", they told me that I was allergic to almost everything, and that I had a candida yeast infection. I was told that I have to avoid gluten, tomato (and some other vegetables), mushrooms, red meat, sugar, orange, lemon and many other things. Apart from the Candida part, the results didn't make any sense to me but I had no other option, they recommended probiotics and digestive enzymes, along with a diet plan. For the next week, my breakfast, launch, and dinner was a chicken salad, I ate nothing else hoping that my symptoms will improve, however, they haven't.
I finished my exams without studying for any of them, I expected to fail the year, I booked the earliest flight back home, and did a comprehensive blood test which showed that I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency (5 while the average level is 40), low iron levels, and anemia. Everything else was normal. I was prescribed iron and vitamin d3 (50,000iu) supplements. I started taking them along with probiotics, the probiotics helped a tiny bit with the bloating and gases, but all the other symptoms remained (constant diarrhoea, constipation, body odour (which used to smell like feces some times)) and daily acid reflux. At this point, I was mentally ill, lost faith in being a normal human being again, I was considering suicide and avoiding social events, not hanging out with my friends and ignoring their calls/texts. I never thought about going to a doctor before because I always thought that I wouldn't be taken seriously, or that I'm not actually sick, I'm just unlucky. Since complaining about feeling tired, stomach gases and body odour didn't seem to me like something that a doctor would consider. I went to a gastroenterologist and explained to him everything (which I should have done years ago). He asked me to do several tests, including a blood test for the liver functions and urea breath test for H Pylori. All the tests came back negative, he told me that it might be IBS or that I might have intolerance towards certain foods, he suggested an endoscopy to investigate further about the acid reflux. I did the endoscopy, and biopsies were taken. The endoscopy showed high levels of acid, ulcers. And the biopsies where positive for H Pylori. I was extremely happy to know that I had H Pylori, and that it was the reason behind all the symptoms, he then prescribed me Pylera (Quadruple Therapy) along with nexium (PPI) 20mg twice a day.
H Pylori detected, Quadruple Therapy
Before starting the Pylera course, I stopped all the other supplements (Vitamin D, Iron, Probiotics). After starting, since day 1, everything got worse, I got mroe gases, more bloating, worse body odour and 24/7 acid reflux.
The third day, the gas and bloating completely disappeared, for the first time in 5 years I was able to eat anything without feeling any discomfort in my stomach, or gases/bloating. I was able to eat a lot, and still have a perfectly flat stomach, which was a great thing. On the other hand, the acid reflux kept getting worse, I had a very bad nausea and lost of appetite that lasted for the rest of the course.
After finishing the quadruple therapy, my acid reflux began to improve gradually and now (1 month later) it's almost completely gone, I can eat/drink anything without getting acid reflux, I don't have stomach gases or bloating anymore, I can eat anything without feeling any discomfort, including dairy. However, I'm still doing my best to avoid all unhealthy foods, and sugar.
I didn't get any new acne spots, my skin looks much healthier.
The body odour is improving very slowly, but still exists, I believe and hope that it will be completely gone in the next few weeks.
I did another urea breath test and it came negative as well,
The first urea breath test might have been negative because of the supplements and probiotics I've been taken.

I can't believe how careless I've been this whole time, and never thought about seeing a doctor, If I knew that I had had H pylori earlier and was able to treat it before it causes all that damage, my life would have been way much better today.
Last edited by oli2 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shid0x

Re: My H Pylori Story

Post by shid0x »

Wow that's quite the story, although i'm pretty sure at least half of the symptoms you describe weren't because of H.py particularly.
Your doctors seems pretty poor because your symptoms were quite typical and its strange that they didn't ask for a biopsy or UBT faster ( i mean i know h.py "discovery" is only 2005 but...)

The strange thing is that your stomach had gotten better on the third day of pylera ( it shouldn't have, really ) and that you recovered in a month.I mean that's fantastic because most people will still feel pain/reflux for months.

I also wanna point out that probiotics shouldn't alternate the result of the UBT AFAIK.
Avoiding triggering food such as fat, dairy, alcohol and sugar after the infection is a pretty good idea as fat require more acid to be digested you don't want that in an healing stomach ( i would suggest you stick that way for a while ).

Last thing is i wanna know where you are from because seeing such poor doctors frighten me.

PS : I understand your feeling of being "robbed" of your life, i had this shit lasting a year and it ruined a lot of social and mental stuff.
And even now that i'm cured i know i can't take too much fat in because i seems my stomach lining can't handle too much, even now that its gone this piece of shit reminds me of it...

oli2

Post by oli2 »

shid0x wrote:Wow that's quite the story, although i'm pretty sure at least half of the symptoms you describe weren't because of H.py particularly.
Your doctors seems pretty poor because your symptoms were quite typical and its strange that they didn't ask for a biopsy or UBT faster ( i mean i know h.py "discovery" is only 2005 but...)
Bloody diarrhoea, daily acid reflux and severe bloating/gases is not typical.
The doctor asked me for UBT during my first appointment (which came back negative). In addition to some other tests that weren't related to h pylori, all came back negative as well.
shid0x wrote: The strange thing is that your stomach had gotten better on the third day of pylera ( it shouldn't have, really ) and that you recovered in a month.I mean that's fantastic because most people will still feel pain/reflux for months.
During the course, I avoided anything with added sugar, and sticked to grilled meet, salads, fruits, and rice, this might have helped, or it could have been another bacteria that was causing all the symptoms and it was killed by the antibiotic.
shid0x wrote: I also wanna point out that probiotics shouldn't alternate the result of the UBT AFAIK.
Avoiding triggering food such as fat, dairy, alcohol and sugar after the infection is a pretty good idea as fat require more acid to be digested you don't want that in an healing stomach ( i would suggest you stick that way for a while ).

Last thing is i wanna know where you are from because seeing such poor doctors frighten me.
Bahrain, a small island in the Persian/Arabian gulf.
shid0x wrote: PS : I understand your feeling of being "robbed" of your life, i had this shit lasting a year and it ruined a lot of social and mental stuff.
And even now that i'm cured i know i can't take too much fat in because i seems my stomach lining can't handle too much, even now that its gone this piece of shit reminds me of it...
How long did it take you to completely heal from all the complications of h pylori after finishing the treatment?

Thank you for your reply.

shid0x

Post by shid0x »

oli2 wrote:
shid0x wrote:Wow that's quite the story, although i'm pretty sure at least half of the symptoms you describe weren't because of H.py particularly.
Bloody diarrhoea, daily acid reflux and severe bloating/gases is not typical.
The doctor asked me for UBT during my first appointment (which came back negative). In addition to some other tests that weren't related to h pylori, all came back negative as well.
shid0x wrote: The strange thing is that your stomach had gotten better on the third day of pylera ( it shouldn't have, really ) and that you recovered in a month.I mean that's fantastic because most people will still feel pain/reflux for months.
During the course, I avoided anything with added sugar, and sticked to grilled meet, salads, fruits, and rice, this might have helped, or it could have been another bacteria that was causing all the symptoms and it was killed by the antibiotic.
shid0x wrote: I also wanna point out that probiotics shouldn't alternate the result of the UBT AFAIK.

Bahrain, a small island in the Persian/Arabian gulf.
shid0x wrote: PS : I understand your feeling of being "robbed" of your life, i had this shit lasting a year and it ruined a lot of social and mental stuff.
How long did it take you to completely heal from all the complications of h pylori after finishing the treatment?

Thank you for your reply.

Took me about 3 and a half month to feel fully better.
I had good days but suddenly i would get pain again for no real reasons ( although big meals were a trigger ).

Best of luck if you feel better, some people are lucky enough to be perfectly fine just after the antibiotic course ;)

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”