Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Looking for some advice please after 2 failed treatments??

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Haystar

Looking for some advice please after 2 failed treatments??

Post by Haystar »

Hello I am a 31 year old female, I was diagnosed with this awful bacteria 4 months a go after numerous trips to the doctors with indigestion. I tested positive on a stool sample. I was put on metronidazole and clarythmerycin and a ppi for 7 days, I felt great for 4 weeks after but sadly the symptoms all came back :( I tested positive on another stool sample and was then put on a second treatment of clarythmerycin, amoxicillin and a ppi for 7 days. I felt great for a couple weeks then all symptoms came back. I then tested positive on an endoscopy and am waiting to hear what my 3rd treatment will be. I am desperate for some advice please from some one who actually knows about this bacteria, as sadly my gp isn't very experienced. Would you be able to suggest what the next best treatment would be please. Thank you very much for your time.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Looking for some advice please after 2 failed treatments

Post by Helico_expert »

Hi, I am sorry to hear what happened to you. It's annoying because the treatment is always long and you need to wait additional 4 weeks to find out if that treatment works. But there is still lots of hope. You'll need a quadruple therapy for your next treatment. Please find our publication in following link. Perhaps you can discuss with your doctor about using one of them. Most importantly, do not lost hope. Be positive! Always look at the bright side.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12089/full

Important note:
1. Cannot use Clarithromycin and Metronidazole anymore.
2. Amoxicillin can be reused many times.

Haystar

Post by Haystar »

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply to me. Having advice from you guys and the online support benefits me and I'm sure hundreds of other desperate people.
I just have a few questions please-
I live in the uk, would I have a better chance of eradicating this bug if I asked for sensitivity testing before giving me more antibiotics?
At the moment I can not see a light at the end of the tunnel and my children and husband just want me back to normal ASAP!! I'm trying to stay positive, I just need to hear some positive thoughts and that this bug can be beaten??
Thank you again

msreza16

Post by msreza16 »

Hi, I'm sorry to know that you are in a similar situation as I am and I feel your frustration. I was diagnosed with hp 6 months ago. Since then my GP and my Gastroenterologist has been blindly giving me antibiotic therapies none of which worked so far. I've just finished my 3rd therapy. Don't know if this is going to eradicate the bacteria. What annoys me is that when my gastroenterologist did the endoscopy, he did not do a culture to find sensitivity. When I asked why he had not done a culture, he said he will do it at my next endoscopy. It just doesn't make sense to me! Endoscopy is an invasive procedure and all necessary test should be done at the first time.

Some justifies that it is not cost effective to do a culture for sensitivity test as we are among the 10% -20% for whom the triple and Quadraple therapies do not work. Well, from millions of people's point of view I may be just one person - but to me, my health and my life is priceless. I don't mind spending some money to get the best possible treatment to cure a potentially deadly bacteria. I don't think bombarding my stomach with such high dose of antibiotic one after another is doing me any good either and already spent hundreds of dollars on these costly antibiotics and medicines.

So, I would suggest you consult your gastroenterologist about getting an antibiotic sensitivity test done before you start another antibiotic. Have it done even if it costs you out of pocket, if you can afford it. Not doing the test may be cost effective for Medicare. Doing the test is cost effective for patients.

"Culture, requiring an endoscopy, has excellent specificity and is necessary for determination of antibiotic sensitivities. However, culture is difficult to perform, so negative cultures may be falsely reassuring. Several studies have shown that higher eradication rates are obtained when antibiotics are chosen based on susceptibility testing rather than chosen empirically, and this may also be a cost effective approach.20 Strong evidence of infection certainly raises the motivation of the patient and the physician, therefore improving cure rate."

docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

Easy for others to say stay positive - but for patients, it is not so easy when treatments are failing.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

agree agree and agree. if it is something that you can afford, it is always better to have bacterial culture done and antibiotic tested. not only that it increase the success rate. it also reduce antibiotic resistance to all your other bacteria in your guts.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”