Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Interesting GP reaction (Australia)

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

aus212

Interesting GP reaction (Australia)

Post by aus212 »

So I've been having some symptoms that led me to consider HP being the source. I asked my GP about it and he said "it isn't an issue as there are millions of people who have it and are asymptomatic, so what about them?"

He said, "what happens if you kiss your wife and get it again?"

And

"It's only newly discovered, what about before then?"

The general gist was that it's unimportant and shouldn't be bothered with.

Quite disappointing for an Australian GP,considering it was discovered in Australia and an award was won for it.

Luckily, I finally got a GP who considers it to be an issue but after I had been put on Nexium from the last GP. I've gone for the stool antigen test, I'm guessing Nexium could give a false-negative?

Generally how long should I be off Nexium for the breath test?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Interesting GP reaction (Australia)

Post by Helico_expert »

interesting response from doctor. anyway, it is true that 50% of the world population is infected with H. pylori and majority of them has no symptoms. However, in most cases, the symptom usually develops after 20 yrs old and more severe in older age.

In many developing countries, after a few failure with the triple therapy, the doctor would normally ask the patient to ignore it and take PPI for life.

It is possible that H. pylori can be transmitted via kissing. However, the chance is going to be very very rare. H. pylori dont normally present in the mouth unless the person has constant reflux.

for Nexium, normally we would ask patient to stop for 7 days before the stool or breath test. see the following document for more info

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

aus212

Post by aus212 »

Thanks for the prompt response. Yeah, the impression I got from him was that it's unimportant and not to bother with H Pylori.

I was told by the Pathology that Nexium wouldn't manipulate the stool result, I guess I will just stop nexium for 7 days and use the breath test to be sure.

Thanks again

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

in regards to Nexium and stool test, the doctor probably listened to the stool test supplier. Which I frequently heard the same. Here are some reference about Nexium (esomeprazole) affecting stool and breath test.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15128344
False negative breath and stool tests are equally common in patients taking proton pump inhibitors.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/m ... key=128446
Do not take proton pump inhibitors (such as Prilosec or Nexium) for 2 weeks before the test

aus212

Post by aus212 »

Negative result for stool test. I told the GP that it could be because I was on Nexium up until the test and he said that Nexium would just reduce the active numbers of the bacteria but it would still show up in the stool test 100%.

He said the blood test is useless because it just means you may have had an infection in the past but it isn't active anymore. I tried to explain to him that H Pylori doesn't go dormant - no luck.

He said next step is gastroscopy and taking a biopsy.

Going to try and find another GP who would do a blood test. I think it's the best option whilst on Nexium. I think it's highly unlikely that I don't have it, considering my parents were born in a country with 80% infection rate despite me being born in Australia.

aus212

Post by aus212 »

Just had the anti-body blood test, if positive, I should proceed with treatment? (ignoring claim from other GP that it kinda goes dormant)

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

unfortunately, blood test only test your infection history, not your current status. your body will carry anti-h. pylori antibody for months or years. So, you shouldnt use blood test to diagnose H. pylori infection after antibiotic treatment.

aus212

Post by aus212 »

Helico_expert wrote:unfortunately, blood test only test your infection history, not your current status. your body will carry anti-h. pylori antibody for months or years. So, you shouldnt use blood test to diagnose H. pylori infection after antibiotic treatment.
Hi,

I've never been treated for h pylori before though, so is the blood test a good enough means to detect a current infection in that case? Or can it go dormant/away by itself?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Since you have not been treated before, yes, you may use the blood test result to get a treatment. Without using the cocktail treatment, it's almost impossible to get rid of H. pylori.

wajahat04

Post by wajahat04 »

It is possible that H. pylori can be transmitted via kissing. However, the chance is going to be very very rare. H. pylori dont normally present in the mouth unless the person has constant reflux....??

http://www.test-king.com/vendor-VMware.htm
Last edited by wajahat04 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”