Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

family history of stomach cancer

After many years of H.pylori infection a cancer can develop in the stomach. This is particularly common in Latin America and Asia (esp. Japan). It is believed that lifelong inflammation of the stomach lining causes low acidity which then allows carcinogens to be active in the stomach. These then cause stem cells (part of the healing process) to mutate and become cancer cells.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

meskimoe

family history of stomach cancer

Post by meskimoe »

Hello, I am a 32 yr old woman living in Alaska. When I was 14 my mother died of stomach cancer. It was the kind that worked from the middle lining out and completely covered the outside of her stomach in cancer. Last yr I was diagnosed with H. Pylori after complaining about various stomach issues. I was treated and felt fine for awhile. My symptoms started returning and I am going to be starting another round of antibiotecs. I am concerned about my pylori becoming resistant and I am obvioulsy concerned with my family history. My mothers Dr. is positive H.pylori played a big roll in my mom's cancer. What would you suggest and what questions would you have me ask my Dr. ? Any help is greatly appreciated. It is a big relief to see this site full of information.

barjammar
Site Admin

Re: family history of stomach cancer

Post by barjammar »

The main thing is to get rid of the H.pylori and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables - or vitamin C. If you cannot get rid of the Hp i.e. it is resistent to antibiotics, then have a gastroenterologist put the 'scope down and 1.) measure the pH of the gastric juice (suck it out and test with litmus paper); 2.) take some biopsies around inside the stomach (top middle and lower, on each side). If they just show normal H.pylori inflammation then you are reasonably safe. If they show metaplasia (looking like intestinal cells) or atrophy (the acid glands are missing leaving space); or if there is low stomach acid, then that is a worry.
These tests will tell you how much effort you should put into eradicating the Hp. But if you have a family member who had cancer of the stomach then it is almost certainly worth trying several times. Check out our stomach cancer pages http://www.helico.com/disease_stomach.html and FAQ pages http://www.helico.com/faq_diseases.html . :?
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.
docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

meskimoe

Post by meskimoe »

Thank you for all the advice. You mention low stomach acid, right now they have me on omneprazole to try to stop ulcers from developing again but should I be worried about the fact that it cuts down on the stomach acid? Thanks again for the advice.

barjammar
Site Admin

Post by barjammar »

Omeparazole also cuts down the H.pylori so, on average, your risk probably stays the same. Regardless of omeprazole, ridding yourself of Hp is still worthwile.
:mrgreen:
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.

meskimoe

Post by meskimoe »

Hello, this is some months later and I am now starting that 2cd round of antibiotics. My practitioner put me on the exact same antibiotic regim I was on last year. Should I ask to recieve a different set of antibiotics? Also the way they tested me this time around was with a blood test, reading your site though I see that a blood test is not reliable after having already had a infection a year ago. I have been having reflux and burping issues again but should I be doing these antibiotics without knowing for sure if I am reinfected? Thanks so much for all your help.

fabion

Post by fabion »

Hello all,

I just wanted to share our experience with everyone... and also see if anyone here has had any similar experiences.

Like many families, we have lost alot of loved ones to Cancer. It seems every year there is a new diagnosis and ultimately a new death.

All of this cancer comes from my fathers immediate family : My grandmother had Linitis Plastica (a rare type of gastric cancer), my grandfather had gastric cancer, my aunt had breast cancer, my father had lung cancer and another aunt had Linitis Plastica. I now have an uncle who has been diagnosed with gastric cancer and is awaiting surgery to have his stomach removed.

To put it all in context, my grandparents had 7 children together.. so in that family of 9, 5 have died of cancer and one is now battling the disease.

The most recent death was my aunt of Linitis Plastica, it was during her illness that doctors took note of the strong family occurance of cancer and took a keen interest to the amount of gastric cancer. She was sent, just 1 month before her death, for genetic counselling and ulimately testing for a possible mutation of the E Cadherin gene. The results recently came back and she did indeed have the mutation.

After researching this gene and it's mutation as much as I could, I learned that it is also linked to breast, lung and bladder cancer. It's still really shocking for me... and a little scary. I was told that 83% of women with this gene get stomach cancer. 83%! 67% of men with the gene get stomach cancer.

Because screening is highly unreliable for linitis plastica, doctors recommend having a preventitive gastrectomy. Infact, most people who have undergone the gastrectomy have had screening with negative results and cancer cells were still found in their stomach after having it removed. In addition to that, if the gene is present then they recommend 6 month MRI's as screening for breast cancer.

I feel a little sad, to think that my father died 3 years ago without knowing this, without screening or options or knowledge of any of this. I have 4 kids, and worry that it will turn out that I've given them this horrible gene.... I guess we'll find out soon if I am positive. I am set to go for genetic counselling soon, and although I'm worried... I find the whole thing fascinating as well.

Does anyone else here have this gene or this much cancer in thier family?
I am almost being banned for putting spammer links at the bottem of my posting. This is my first and only warning.

tamar32

Post by tamar32 »

The main thing is to get rid of the H.pylori and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables - or vitamin C.

Thats true but here a question arises. If someone is saying that he became fine after diagnose and treatment, what can be the cause of getting this again? I mean there must be some precautions which one should take after his treatment. Its just the way to go.

barjammar
Site Admin

Post by barjammar »

Hi there.
Please post an update and tell us all about your genetic test. How much did it cost and what was the recommendation from your councillors. What is the ancestry of that gene? What next?
:shock:

Tobiasgar

Post by Tobiasgar »

Cancer of the small intestine is a rare form of cancer typically caused by four types of tumors or classifications. The most common type of small intestine cancer is adenocarcinoma. Other, less common types are: carcinoid tumors, gastrointestinal stromal tumors and lymphomas. If your doctor suspects intestinal cancer they might order a barium contrast study, an upper GI tract endoscopy, an ultrasound or a colonoscopy depending on what type of cancer is suspected and the likely location. If tumors are found a biopsy will be performed to confirm that the cells are cancerous.The most common method of treatment of small intestinal cancer is surgery. The doctor will remove all of the visible tumor and some of the surrounding healthy area to ensure that all cancer has been removed. With lymphomas, the most common treatment is radiation therapy.
Last edited by Tobiasgar on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahlie

Post by Sahlie »

Chemo and radiation therapies success rates are low, about 30% per oncology doctor. Never give up those conventional treatments. In fact the best defense against cancer is our body’s immunity system.

Return to “Stomach cancer and lymphoma”