Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

To reduce SPAM, all post from new members with less than 1 post will require approval from web master.

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.
Contact admin click here

Ulcers and anxiety?

Ulcers of the duodenum and stomach are called peptic ulcers. H.pylori causes most ulcers; other causes are aspirin and arthritis type drugs (NSAIDS). Ulcers can also be in the oesophagus but these are not caused by H.pylori.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

mjolnir46

Ulcers and anxiety?

Post by mjolnir46 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:47 am

I did treatment for H Pylori in July, but was feeling bad since May. Had endoscopy done 3 weeks ago, and it revealed that I have two gastric and one duodenal ulcer but H pylori negative. I still have that nervous feeling in my stomach and I've had insomnia since May (I've definitely had ulcers since May) I also am more anxious and restless, especially when I don't sleep well (which is almost every day). Before I would wake up in middle of night with racing thoughts and stomach tension that goes away after eating, but now I just wake up with racing thoughts and I am too restless to get back to sleep. Is this all mental or are the ulcers causing these anxiety-like symptoms and insomnia? Any tips on how to soothe stomach at night and how long healing could possibly take?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Ulcers and anxiety?

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:22 pm

you may have to take PPI to control the pain. Have you been taking NSAIDs painkillers? for example, ibuprofen, aspirin and others? i am trying to understand how you get ulcers without H. pylori.

mjolnir46

Post by mjolnir46 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 pm

No I did have H Pylori but it has been treated and gone since July. But I still have the ulcers it caused

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 am

i see. you'll need to take PPI for a month and then follow up with your doctor. all the best.

michaeljonson

Post by michaeljonson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:12 pm

mjolnir46, how are you now?
Legacy ER & Urgent Care

bertol

Post by bertol » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:54 pm

It was once believed that anxiety can cause a stomach or duodenal ulcers, possibly because of increased gastric acid secretion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12461190

Return to “Ulcers: Duodenal and Gastric”