Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

H PYLORI test result - Antigen DETECTED

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

SJ66

H PYLORI test result - Antigen DETECTED

Post by SJ66 »

Hi helico expert and team

Looking for help and guidance, please.

Background:

June 2018 - HPylori POS, blood and stool

Aug 2018 - eradication 2 abx - Metronidazole & Amoxicillin, Pepto Bismol, Ranitidine. Taken for 14 DAYS straight.

Oct 2018 - HPylori NEG - antigen NOT detected, stool test

Feb 2019 - HPylori NEG - antigen NOT detected, stool test

Sep 2019 - HPylori POS, stool test - result below:

17 Sep 2019
H pylori antigen test
Comments:
Helicobacter pylori Antigen DETECTED

No idea why I’ve tested positive this week when last 2 stool tests have been negative. All stool tests have been done at same Hospital Lab (Royal Free, London).

Would very much appreciate your thoughts on what I can/should do.

Many thanks.
Sarah-Jane

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: H PYLORI test result - Antigen DETECTED

Post by Helico_expert »

It's very rare for adult to have reinfection of H. pylori. However, it's not impossible. You may have caught it from your partner. Anyone living with you at home is also a carrier of H. pylori?

or it could be a false positive from stool test. Perhaps you can find out how positive is the positive test? a borderline positive is likely to be false positive. Perhaps you can do a breath test instead?

SJ66

Post by SJ66 »

Hi
Many thanks for your reply. So should I suggest that my partner and son (he’s 19) get a stool test even though they don’t have any HPYLORI symptoms?

False positive - does that really happen with stool tests? If I can’t get further information on how positive the stool test was I did on Monday (I’m seeing my GP this evening) is there anything else I can do? The breath test over here in UK doesn’t seem to be offered by my GP. Should I ask to redo the stool test?

Wondering now if it’s possible that I never fully eradicated HPYLORI last Aug 2018 even though I did 2 weeks of continuous treatment, which was hell.

Always appreciate your help and expertise.

Thanks so much.
SJ

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Yes, both of them should get tested. False positive is less likely. But nothing is 100%.

SJ66

Post by SJ66 »

Thanks so much for your reply.

Can you advise and give further help, please?

My GP says it’s not necessary to get family members tested because HPylori isn’t contagious! It’s an almost impossible task for me to get the GP to agree to stool tests for my family. So, I guess I’ll have to somehow arrange to have them done privately. In the UK, GPs seem somewhat uninformed regarding HPylori, treatment regimes, etc.

Regarding treatment for myself, (if necessary):

In July 2017
I took Amoxicillin and Metronidazole for a week for infection in my gums.

In August 2018
I took for 14 days:
Amoxicillin 2 x 500g BID,
Metronidazole 1 x 400g BID,
Ranitidine 1 x 150g BID,
Pepto Bismol 30mg TID

I am concerned that I’ve overused Metronidazole therefore can you make any treatment suggestions, bearing in mind I couldn’t tolerate Omeprazole or Lansoprazole. And would I be best to do a 7, 10, 14 day treatment regime. Would I need to take the Antibiotics maybe 3 times a day to keep them in my system and have a better chance of eradicating? I know HPylori never become resistant to Amoxicillin and Bismuth - thank goodness!

Regarding my family, if they test positive, they’ve had very little exposure to antibiotics (my son only once in his life) therefore would a 7 day regime, for example:
PPI + Amoxicillin + Metronidazole + Pepto Bismol be adequate?

Also, is Rabeprazole possibly easier to tolerate/metabolised differently than other PPIs?

I am so grateful for all your responses.
Kind regards, SJ

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It is very rare for adult to get reinfected. H. pylori is contagious, just very poorly. otherwise, you may ask your doctor to explain what would be the reason for the following?
Oct 2018 - HPylori NEG - antigen NOT detected, stool test
Feb 2019 - HPylori NEG - antigen NOT detected, stool test
Sep 2019 - HPylori POS, stool test - result below:
if he suggested that the diagnostic test is useless, creating false positive or false negative, perhaps he should use other diagnostic test, such as breath test.

I assume that the diagnostic test is accurate. Therefore, your recent infection is from someone else. and hence, your previous exposure to metronidazole doesnt matter. Unless that someone else also exposed to metronidazole before.

In general, 7 days has about 80% cure rate and 14 days have about 90% cure rate. Prof. Marshall thinks that 10 days is enough. Probably the additional few days for an insignificantly higher cure rate and most probably significantly increase the risk of side effect is not worth it.

All the PPI works the same. Their chemical structures are very similar. Everyone would metabolise them differently. So you can try rabeprazole if you want and see if you can tolerate it.

SJ66

Post by SJ66 »

Hi
Many thanks to you for your very informative response. It is a great help to be able to discuss and get answers about H Pylori. This forum has been a tremendous help and I thank all of the team.

May I just clarify:
Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:22 am
It is very rare for adult to get reinfected. H. pylori is contagious, just very poorly. otherwise, you may ask your doctor to explain what would be the reason for the following?
So, are saying that H Pylori IS contagious when people live in and share a household, despite hygiene, cleanliness of home, proper food preparation?

Also, because I had a POS Antigen in JUNE 2018, took 14 day ABX therapy in AUG, then NEG Antigen OCT 2018 , then NEG Antigen FEB 2019, POS Antigen SEPT 2019, then I now must have become reinfected by one of the members of my family?

I do not think the Stool tests are inaccurate, although I did ask the GP last Friday if there were numbers associated with the result. GP said the Hospital only return a comment which is either ANTIGEN DETECTED or ANTIGEN NOT DETECTED with stool tests. So, I brought up the option of getting a Breath Test (in order to look at numbers) and she said she would contact the Gastroenterology Dept at the Hospital and get back to me by this Friday 27 Sept.

In your opinion, would you advise to treat ALL members of family (ie: partner, my son, and myself) with a 10 day course of TRIPLE THERAPY with Pepto Bismol added and all of us taking the same ABX, Amoxicillin, Metronizadole ?

Question regarding PPI, I believe PPI is a very important part of the eradication therapy. However, I used RANITIDINE in August last year to eradicate HP. If I cannot tolerate the PPIs again, could I use RANTIDINE 150mg again or would it be useless?

Huge thanks, again, for all your advice.
SJ

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Yes, everyone in the same household (except children below 16 yr old) should get tested for H. pylori and treatment if positive.

Since you had two negative stool test previously and then a positive stool test, how else could you get it from? You must have infected from one of your family members, usually your partner through kissing (and usually before brushing teeth).

the success of the antibiotic treatment rely heavily on how well you suppress your acid secretion. PPI has a better suppression of acid than ranitidine. Therefore, PPI would have a better cure rate. For those that cannot take PPI, ranitidine is the only choice. in your case, your previously treatment with ranitidine work. So that's very good.

SJ66

Post by SJ66 »

Many thanks for your reply.

Are you able to make a suggestion on a suitable regime/therapy for eradication, ie: which antibiotics, how many times a day and the length of time, plus if adding in Pepto Bismol is still a good idea. An earlier reply above says Prof Marshall suggests 10 days is enough for the treatment. (My first eradication was 14 days and was very tough, with side effects and awful yeast infections for weeks after.)

Thank you.
SJ

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Your family doctor would be more suitable to recommend a treatment that is suitable for the local infection.

however, the guideline suggests that
Clarithromycin based triple therapy should be tried first. if failed then
Metronidazole based triple therapy. if failed then
quadruple therapy.

since pepto bismol is so safe and effective, you can always add them to your treatment as well.

final tip... rabeprazole seems perform better than other PPI. so you can ask your doctor to prescribe rabeprazole, double dose.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”