Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Is this h plyori still or something more sinister?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

redheadj

Is this h plyori still or something more sinister?

Post by redheadj »

It all started back in early October. I was on holiday with my girlfriend when I began to get stomach ache in my upper left abdomen and behind the lower ribs and loose stools shortly after arriving there. I chalked it down to probably having some bad food whilst there and thought nothing of it. That is until I continued to get stomach ache and loose stools after we returned home.

I had had something similar a year prior that resulted in my doctor prescribing me anti diarrhoea tablets which seemed to clear it all up after a couple of weeks. Thinking it was something similar, I booked myself in to see the doctor.

He felt around my stomach, didn’t feel anything weird and prescribed me with hyoscine butylbromid and sent me for a stool test. The stool test came back clear but my stomach was still aching so I went back to the doctors at the end of October.

This time round they sent me for a full blood count and another stool sample. The stool sample came back clear once again, as did the blood tests. The doctor prescribed me ranitidine and sent me for a helicobacter breath test where the earliest I could get in was 2 weeks after the appointment. It wasn’t until the end of November that I was able to have the test and get my results back, testing positive for h pylori.
The doctor prescribed me metronidazole (400mg) and clarithromycin (500mg) for 1 week and lansoprazole (30mg) for 2 weeks – this is nearly 9 weeks since the symptoms began. I began the take the medication and it seemed to really help with my symptoms. The stomach ache reduced drastically and I thought I was on the mend.

However, around the 14th of January (nearly a week after finishing all my meds), my stomach ache began to return, going from aching every other day to being every day. Once again, I returned to the doctors, who felt around my stomach briefly and then prescribed 4 more weeks of lansoprazole and said nothing more. Taking these reduced my pain again and I thought I was finally going to be over it. No such luck.

I finished the lansoprazole around mid-February but the stomach ache once again returned around a week after I stopped the lansoprazole. Since I wasn’t able to get to a doctors, I went to my local pharmacy and told them about my symptoms – they gave me some nexium, but told me that the doctors should have booked me in for another breath test to make sure the h plyori had gone. Ringing my doctors, they said that yes, I should have been retested and booked me one in which I took this Tuesday. However, between the time of them booking me in and then taking the test, I had really bad stomach ache. The pain has mostly always been in the same place – upper left stomach, just below and behind the ribs, but it’s also started to ache round the back and up towards the left shoulder. I went for an emergency doctors appointment, who prescribed me more ranitidine (150mg) and said I had to wait for the test.

Does ranitidine effect a breath test? I’m scared I’m going to get a false negative etc.

I didn’t take any the night before the test and only started taking them again last night as my stomach ache started to return and I began to feel really tired and a little light headed. I’m really scared it’s something bad.

NoxArcana

Re: Is this h plyori still or something more sinister?

Post by NoxArcana »

For a breath test you should stop ppi for at least 2 weeks as far as i know, but ranitidine you can take without problems. About your symptoms it happened the same with me, after a week or so i started to feel ill again, and in fact, i am still h pylori positive.

redheadj

Post by redheadj »

NoxArcana wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 pm
For a breath test you should stop ppi for at least 2 weeks as far as i know, but ranitidine you can take without problems. About your symptoms it happened the same with me, after a week or so i started to feel ill again, and in fact, i am still h pylori positive.
Hey thanks for replying and sorry to hear you're still feeling ill :(

I knew the PPI's had to be stopped 2 weeks before the test, but was unsure about ranitidine as the NHS website said you should stop 3 days before the test.

Have you been prescribed anything to help you kill the h pylori?

Would the PPI's and ranitidine cause the symptoms to subside whilst you take them?

NoxArcana

Post by NoxArcana »

redheadj wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 pm
NoxArcana wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 pm
Have you been prescribed anything to help you kill the h pylori?

Would the PPI's and ranitidine cause the symptoms to subside whilst you take them?
I did two different triple therapy, both failed. PPI help with the symptoms, but they do not go away completely if the h pyori wasnt erradicated, you need to take the test to confirm.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

ranitidine is not PPI. So you can take it until the night before breath test.

here is a guideline on how long you should stop the drugs before breath test.
http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

redheadj

Post by redheadj »

Helico_expert wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:14 am
ranitidine is not PPI. So you can take it until the night before breath test.

here is a guideline on how long you should stop the drugs before breath test.
http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf
Hey, thanks for the pdf. Looks like I stopped taking them at the right time then. Just got to wait 2 weeks for my results now

redheadj

Post by redheadj »

So an update from me.

Went for the breath test and it came back negative. However my stomach ache continued long after.

I was on ranitidine for another few weeks (which helped a little) before being switched onto lansoprazole from mid May. Seemed to stop my symptoms for a few weeks, but over the past week my symptoms have returned - bloating and a dull stomach ache round a 3/4 out of 10 on the pain scale.

My questions:

Can gastritis appear after HP eradication? This will now have been 6 months since I took the antibiotics. I'm scared these symptoms are cancer related. I'm 36 years old. From reading this forum it seems h.pylori enters the body when you're a child, meaning it's probably had a good few years to breed in there. More than long enough to potentially be cancer, right?

Can your body become immune to a PPI to make it stop working, or is this something more serious going on? I was on lansoprazole for 3 weeks with the triple therapy, then another month shortly after that when the symptoms returned.

mitul_108

Post by mitul_108 »

Hi how r you??

Any update?

Now you fine??

I have still stomach pain after first tripple therapy since 1 month.
Have more stress and anxiety about this horrible bug.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”