Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Re-infection...or something else?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Daisy

Re-infection...or something else?

Post by Daisy »

Hello all! I had planned on posting an update on my h. pylori journey sooner, and since I’ve hit a bump in the road I guess this is the right time. I won’t get into my entire backstory again, but I will sum up my progress from this year. After my blood tested positive for h. pylori, I was prescribed the triple therapy for 14 days as follows:

Metronidazole 250 mg 4x/day
Tetracycline 500 mg 4x/day
Pepto-Bismol suspension 17.2 ml 4x/day
Pantoprazole 40 mg 2x/day

This was back in May. I did fine on the drugs - the side effects weren’t terrible. In July I had a breath test done (after my treatment, I had stopped taking my PPI) and was negative for h. pylori. This was great news! I was feeling better and better as the months passed. Three days ago I felt gnawing hunger/pain late at night. December 25 the pain lasted almost all day. Except for the extreme anxiety I had before (because I had no idea what was wrong with me), my h. pylori symptoms are back. Gnawing pain below my rib cage that comes and goes all day. Normal hunger is gone. No idea how much/little to eat since I don’t feel “full”. I have never changed my eating habits because nothing made the pain feel better or worse. I will go through the circus that is modern medicine but in the meantime I am wondering: Is it possible I got re-infected with h. pylori? If not, then what else could this be?

LeslieAJ

Re: Re-infection...or something else?

Post by LeslieAJ »

I was just looking through this site again with the same issue. I did a natural treatment (Bio HPF and Oil of Oregano back in the summer).I waited a month and tested both blood and stool and both were negative. I was slowly getting better, had done food sensitivity testing and had eliminated inflammatory foods. I was just at the point of re-introducing foods and was feeling better and I did this test called the GI Map to make sure nothing else was wrong. At this point, it showed a strain of Hpylori that was HIGH and also did a sensitivity to antibiotics. I was not having any symptoms, so with a nutritionist, I started natural treatment again, but no oil of oregano. It is slowly getting worse, getting a tight esophagus and burning stomach. I wondered the same thing, did I re-infect or was it lowered to the point of not being detected on the tests?

Another question, I am going to do the antibiotics this time, I have clarithromycin which it tests as not resistant to. Do I need to take the acid blockers and triple therapy with this? I had a nurse practitioner not too knowledgeable at the GI doc.

I do know that if you are susceptible (this is my second experience with this, the first one 8 years ago, you can re-infect.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

GI Map is not the recommended test to diagnose H. pylori infection. I think if your blood test and stool test are both negative, then you are most likely negative of H. pylori.

I dont think you should take any antibiotics without proper diagnosis.

LeslieAJ

Post by LeslieAJ »

I am symptomatic again.

LeslieAJ

Post by LeslieAJ »

I did a stool and a breath test in late August.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

stool and blood test are very accurate.

It's not easy to get reinfected with H. pylori. if you think you might be reinfected, you can do a stool or breath test again.

Your symptoms may not be because of H. pylori. Hopefully it's incidental and will gradually fade away.

BeatingHPylori

Post by BeatingHPylori »

I’m in the same boat as well. I had an endoscopy in September with a biopsy and histology and the results came back negative & just 5 days ago on Dec 24th, I started feeling the constant stomach gurgling, slight stitches under my left and right ribs, fatigue and stomach pain. I was wondering how common is reinfection?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

reinfection is very rare. unless people living with you has poor hygiene. eg. not brushing teeth and not washing hands after toilet.

if in doubt, you can always get a breath test done to double confirm your HP infection status.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Helico_expert, I will most likely get another breath test to reconfirm eradication. What’s interesting is the gnawing hunger worsens after I eat vs when I have an empty stomach. Thankfully this feeling is tolerable, unlike the way it was before. I also find it interesting others are going through the same thing. Hoping this is all just no big deal!

Raisa

Post by Raisa »

Hi Daisy When did your loss of appetite get better ?Because I was recently diagnosed with hp and my life turned upside down with all these symptoms but luckily they are improving little by little .

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”