Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

some questions about h pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

sam-w

some questions about h pylori

Post by sam-w »

Hi,

I took a 14 day course of ABX + PPI for H Pylori (Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Clarithromycin) last year. I retested after 2 months via faecal antigen test, and the result was negative.

I changed out all the toothbrushes in my house, and I even made my husband take a blood test to make sure we weren't passing the infection back and forth between us. He was negative, which was a relief.

My story seems very similar on these boards - that gastritis post H Pylori treatment is very common (is it iatrogenic?). It seems crazy to me that we recommend treatment for H Pylori knowing that people may end up with a lifelong case of gastritis!

Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Are there any good papers about the safety or efficacy of PPIs or H2 inhibitors long-term?

2) Are there any good papers about post-H Pylori gastritis?

3) Even if I did have H Pylori again, and went through all the re-testing and painful treatment (and increased to 4 antibiotics this time, which sounds so painful, I wanted to die the first time around) rigamarole, am I right to say that there would still be no guarantee that the gastritis would be improved?

4) What is the standardized mortality ratio for h pylori? (Just FYI - A standardized mortality ratio for the population at large is 1.0. Anything higher than 1.0 suggests that more deaths occur than were expected and less than 1.0 suggests less than expected. This the way epidemiologists can identify whether certain diseases and chronic illnesses actually impact life expectancy or not.

As an example - Crohn's has an SMR of 1.39 [D. Duricova et al., 2010]. I do not have Crohn's, but I was just wondering if H Pylori meets the qualification as a chronic illness, and whether it actually impacts life expectancy...

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: some questions about h pylori

Post by Helico_expert »

1) Are there any good papers about the safety or efficacy of PPIs or H2 inhibitors long-term?
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 015-0576-z
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12697/full

In general, acid inhibition is known to associate with B12 deficiency and osteoporosis. H2 blocker is more onset and has less lasting effect. PPI is more thorough and longer inhibition of acid secretion, but it takes longer time to kick in.
2) Are there any good papers about post-H Pylori gastritis?
unfortunately very is known about this. Some people believes that that the stomach is trying to readjust itself back to normal.
3) Even if I did have H Pylori again, and went through all the re-testing and painful treatment (and increased to 4 antibiotics this time, which sounds so painful, I wanted to die the first time around) rigamarole, am I right to say that there would still be no guarantee that the gastritis would be improved?
This is a very subjective question. Some patients improved and some dont. But most people does feel better. So have you had yourself tested for H. pylori? Have you done an endoscopy examination before?
4) What is the standardized mortality ratio for h pylori? (Just FYI - A standardized mortality ratio for the population at large is 1.0. Anything higher than 1.0 suggests that more deaths occur than were expected and less than 1.0 suggests less than expected. This the way epidemiologists can identify whether certain diseases and chronic illnesses actually impact life expectancy or not.
H. pylori is a very chronic infection. More than half of the world population is infected with H. pylori. Usually people became a carrier when they are young children. Most people carry H. pylori without symptom for without knowing. However, about 50% of the carrier will experience some kind of symptoms when reach 30-50 yrs old. Many of these symptoms are negligible and so there is very little record in this area. about 10% of these infected person will develop peptic ulcer diseases and about 1% will progress into cancer. So overall, although not calculated, the mortality ratio is expect to be very very low. Of course, if you meant before the discovery of H. pylori where the prevalence was like 90%, lots of people are required to take long term PPI and die from bleeding ulcers.

sam-w

Post by sam-w »

hi, Thanks for the answers to my questions.

You asked me
So have you had yourself tested for H. pylori? Have you done an endoscopy examination before?

My H Pylori was actually diagnosed via a faecal antigen test. I had had an endoscopy, but it found nothing, thus the faecal test.

Feb 2015 - H Pylori treatment (omeprazole, amoxicillin + Clarithromycin)

May 2015 - re-test (and no PPIs were used from end of treatment to retesting) - no more H Pylori antigen

May 2015- now - vomiting and regurgitation

My doctor honestly seems out of his element - he didn't even tell me to retest post-treatment. He doesn't understand the post-treatment vomiting. I had to do research to try PPIs on my own, but I get a horrible headache from them and also horrid constipation. I feel very stuck because my quality of life has been severely impacted by the vomiting/regurgitation but I honestly don't know what else I can do as PPIs seem to be the only treatment for the vomiting.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

if you have tested yourself in May and got a negative result for H. pylori, the chance of getting H. pylori again since then is low. Assuming that the test is accurate of course.

H. pylori doesnt cause vomit and headache. So i am suspecting other type of food poisoning. Usually vomit is self limiting. food poisoning that involve vomiting usually comes with fever and gets better after 3-5 days. So how do you feel now?

if you have not feel better, and it has been a while, have your doctor checked for the possibility of food poisoning? such as giardia?

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”