Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

To reduce SPAM, all post from new members with less than 1 post will require approval from web master.

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.
Contact admin click here

Help...starting treatment...

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Re: Help...starting treatment...

Post by Csruben1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:10 am

How would one know how long he/she has had the bacteria? Is it possible to get it and have symptoms right away or does it need to be in your system for a while before it wreaks havoc? Also, assuming I am truly negative for h pylori, would it still come back after I stop the Sucralfate? I'm in a bit of a bind. If I stop taking it I feel horrible, but I don't know if it's the h pylori really still there or just the bile that makes me nauseous. My doc says one sucralfate per day will not affect the endoscopy biopsy results. Not sure what to do so I've been putting it off.

Site Admin

Re: Help...starting treatment...

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

There are many ways to test if you carry H. pylori. the common ones are: 1. blood test, 2. stool test, 3. breath test, 4. endoscopy - histology and/or bacteria culture

I personally will go for breath test because it's not invasive and very simple.

The only way to kill this bacteria is by antibiotics. So, if it is not killed, once you stop the sucralfate, it'll just come back.

by the way, sucralfate will affect the breath test result and you have to stop for 14 days before using breath or stool test.

since sucralfate can decrease the bacteria load, it may affect the histology screening after endoscopy. Nevertheless, an experience pathologist should be able to spot the inflammation and the pathogen.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”