Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Helicobacter aftermath

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

Aggie

Helicobacter aftermath

Post by Aggie »

Hi

I was diagnosed with helicobacter about 3 months ago. I have taken my treatment and according to my doctor, I was sorted. A week or two after ending the treatment I was getting bad stomach pains, cramps,constipation and/or diahhorea and burped a lot. My doctor thought I developed Lactose Intollerance and advised me to adapt my diet accordingly and gave me Mebeverine to take before eating. I have eliminated all foods that could trigger the symptoms and was okish for about a month, but than I started getting Very bad stomach pains before, after eating and sometimes in the middle of the night and I was burping lots. I thought I had stomach ulcer, but my doctor didnt agree and said that for some reason my stomach doesnt digest food and because its fermenting inside, I get the bad pains. I am currently on 2 week Motilium treatment and my doctor said this should solve all my stomach problems. The thing is I still sometimes get stomach pains, get constipated and go through a faze of serious burping. I had my lactose intolerance test done and am not sure of a result as doctor said to get it repeated after my Motilium treatment ends. My concern is that after that ends I will go back to not digesting food and all the pain will come back. After all they couldnt tell what the reason of not digesting food was and I am ok now, but I am on the medication! I want some further tests done and get some decent diagnose to know what is going on with my stomach, but not sure what tests to ask for. In the mean time I get fobbed off with yet another cover up-medication and am tired of all the stomach problems. Has anyone had similiar or same syptoms after haeving Helicobacter? Does anyone know what can I do and what could the issue with my stomach be? Please let me know. I am desperate. Thanks Aggie

cmc

Re: Helicobacter aftermath

Post by cmc »

*** Note that the forum moderator appreciates the helpful comments but does not agree with most of this post but I am leaving it up for the present BJM **
Aggie,
Yes what you complain about is very common.
Usually after treatment for helicobacter, you are prone to get Salmonella or any of the other colon - stomach waterborn diseases.
Your bescribtion really suits Salmonella also called enteric fever.
We do a blood test called TMX and thet confirms the diagnosis.
Due to the acid reducing treatment for helicobacter the door is open for other bacteria to invade the digestive tract.
I treat my patients also with this kind of "good bacteria" loike all the probiflora's or good digestive flora's.
Wish you well.
Dr CMC

Aggie

Post by Aggie »

Dear CMC

Many thanks for your message. I will speak to my GP and hopefully will get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Aggie

barjammar
Site Admin

Post by barjammar »

Hi there. I am not sure that you have anything like salmonella. These are irritable bowel type symptoms but nobody knows what causes that either (it ain't stress!) so here are a few suggestions.
1. Make sure that the Hp is eradicated (you need a brteath test most likely). THIS IS ESSENTIAL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE
2. If clear of the Hp, consider that the normal gut bacteria are changed in some way. If diarrhea is an issue, check for C.difficile in stool (it is a bug which sometimes comes along after antibiotics).
3. Some of your symtoms could be acid related. Take an acid blocker for a month or two - Nexium 40 mg per day or similar. This also has the advantage of letting your normal healthy bugs colonize your gut again after the antibiotics temporarily wiped them out (you will get them back from healthy family members and around your house etc.).
4. I if things don't get better, have a full workup of your G.I. Antibiotic aftermath usually just last 3-6 months at the most.
5. After that I recommend Zantac as required, or Pepcid Complete as required for occasional heartburn. The Helicobacter aftermath syndrome (if we call it that) rearely persists and usually you will notice gradual improvement towards normality over the following year or so. Even irritable bowel tends to become less severe as time goes on.
Good Luck. 8-)
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.
docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

Aggie

Post by Aggie »

Dear Barjammar,

Many thanks for your response.
I did take into consideration the IBS but my GP disagrees as well. I do find though that the syndroms are very random and if I am very good to my stomach ie eat boiled, mild, gentle on stomach foods I am fine. As soon as I eat anything little more complicated onion and leek in particular, the trouble really starts. The thing is noone has told me and I never knew that after HP my stomach will be messed up and with all due respect to my doctor it seems that he gives me stuff to get read of symptoms rather than get to the bottom of it all and/or explain the consequences of HP and antibiotics. I know that maybe stomach problems is not a real drama to many, but to me it is as I love food and always ate healthily and last months its been like rollercoaster with all the attention on my stomach Hopefully tomorrows visit to my GP will bring me closer to getting better, thanks to your advise.

Much appreciated

Take Care

Aggie

Alex

Post by Alex »

Hey Aggie,

I was diagnosed with HP two years ago and was prescribed PrevPac. Two weeks after treatment I started having stomach pain and burning, food digestion problems, lower back burning. I went through many doctors, tests (blood, urine, stool, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT scan you name it) with no successfull result. I was told that I do not have HPylori anymore but I have "small" gastritis now. Nobody can figure out what went wrong after PrevPac treatment, so I just stopped going to doctors.
Just to note: I have never taken any antibiotic in my life prior to this expensive and worthless crap AND I have never had any problems with digestive system (HPylori infection came up after routine blood test...). I am 33; right now every day I have terrible and loud stomach growling, stomack and lower back burning pain, food indigestion...you name it...

Please let me know if you find any cure for that. I wish I never listened to doctor and took that medication.
Search online and you will find many people with approximately the same post health issues.

barjammar
Site Admin

Post by barjammar »

I have one suggestion. If you had gastritis with low acidity, you could have returned to normal acidity after treatment for Helicobacter. If you have esophagogastric reflux, you now have heartburn, air swallowing etc. So you have acid problems, possibly GERD. You may also have continuing Hp which has changed its distribution in the stomach. You might even have an ulcer! I suggest you again get a test - it would need to be a urea breath test - to see if you still have Hp. If you do have it then you need more antibiotics and acid blockers. If you don't have it then you just need acid blockers and should probably have an endoscopy (more $$$ - hurry up with that health plan Mr Obama!). Low acidity is unhealthy and is a small cancer risk, so you are thoeretically better off now, even though you have symptoms. :idea:
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.
docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

Alex

Post by Alex »

Dear Barjammar,

Thank you very much for your response.
I have done colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT scan of pelvis, blood, urine, stool tests (for all possible causes). Everything came back normal with one note: small/light gastritis (stomach inflammation). Gastroenterologist did take some tests and did not find any suspicious bacteria. I do not think I have GERD symptoms. What I have are bloated stomach, loud growling, burning pain in my lower back and stomach, gas, bowel irregularities. I am not losing weight, no temperature and I do not have heartburn. I feel much better when I lie or walk; much worse when I sit. All of this started happening two-four weeks after the treatment and continues for the second year already. If I did not have insurance I would be bankrupt. I do not believe in coincidence (that is what doctor who prescribed PrevPac to me is trying to say). I did not have any visible preconditions before I took PrevPac.

Thanks again.

P.S. But you might be right about low acidity (I have at least some of those symptoms). Is there natural way to cure it; I do not want to take any medication anymore?

Didicoy

Post by Didicoy »

Help! I have the opposite of low acidity. My doctor thinks I am OVER-producing acid after HP eradication 13 days ago and tells me to take 20-40 mg omeprazole for a week at a time and then pause and see if it has helped. Please can you explain:
1) how my "acid pump" can ever return to normal, if I keep suppressing its function with a high dose of Omeprazole?
2) how long might it take for acid levels to come down to normal with/without Omeprazole? Might it never stop???? I read somewhere about people having to have the acid-pump nerve cut, which scared me.
3) What can I do to minimise acid production or calm my appetite (usual food culprits like coffee, sugar, fat/oil and other stimulants long-since eliminated, but confess I still smoke 7 cigarettes a day)

The fatigue, nausea, fear of eating, belly ache agony etc. are all gone since eradication, and replaced by gurgling stomach, excess salivation, constant hunger, frequent light headedness, irritability, slightly manic/hyper as if blood sugar low, and a feeling that my stomach is a bottomless pit - just 30 minutes after regular little snacks I feel hunger again. Is there any risk malnutrition or some other condition could be involved? For two months before gastroscopy found HP present but otherwise no abnormalities/lesions/damage in stomach, my staple diet was rye crispbread, banana, porridge oats and water and I lost 8 kg.
I am female, 43, slender, vegetarian, and after HP triple therapy otherwise feel and look healthy.

Thanks....

JLeiva

Post by JLeiva »

I was diagnosed with gastritis due to H. Pylori in March. I did the triple therapy treatment for 14 days and had terrible side effects (stomach pain and burning, nausea, etc) I finished the treatment 5 weeks ago. I feel better but not 100%. How long does it take for gastritis symptoms to go away after treatment..??

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”