Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Recently diagnosed, but no symptoms. Quad treatmt: Newbie Questions

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

PaulaC

Recently diagnosed, but no symptoms. Quad treatmt: Newbie Questions

Post by PaulaC »

Hello,

This is my first post. Glad this forum exists. I hired a registered dietician a few months ago (Nov 2018) to see if certain non-GI symptoms I had that might be related to inflammation. My stomach has generally been awesome, and I had no GI symptoms at all when I first saw her, or even really today, six months later. Certified in the LEAP protocol, she had me do a blood test and a stool test (namely the GI-MAP).

Blood test revealed which foods are inflammatory for me (good to know). Stool test revealed h pylori, which I had never heard of, plus some deficiencies of good bacteria.

We tried probiotics and changing my diet to reduce inflammation and improve gut biome at the same time. Big success with the anti-inflammatory diet: my non-GI symptoms are much better! Yay!

Failure, however, on the h pylori. I redid the Gi-MAP stool test and learned that my h pylori had become more virulent. Boo.

Dietician recommended conventional treatment under care of a doctor. Doctor prescribed 14 days of bismuth quadruple therapy. (Would have done triple therapy but I am resistant to clarithromycin.) I start tomorrow.

Questions:

1) What exactly ARE the side effects of Bismuth Quadruple Therapy? I gather from reading threads here that they include nausea and black stool. Anything else?

2) When are side effects likely to begin, and how soon after treatment might they end?

3) Given that I have never had GI symptoms at all and do not have an ulcer as far as I know, might I reasonably experience fewer side effects? Hoping for some good news here...

Thanks in advance for any help,

PaulaC

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Recently diagnosed, but no symptoms. Quad treatmt: Newbie Questions

Post by Helico_expert »

Quadruple therapy is a combination four drugs. Bismuth is just one of them. Bismuth's side effect is basically dark stool. Usually PPI will be include in this treatment. There is no actual side effect on PPI. PPI is pretty safe and some people take it for years. Most of the side effect will come from the 2 antibiotics, which you will have to find out what they are.

Not everyone will experience side effects. But if you are unfortunately sensitive to one or more of the drugs, then usually the side effects kicks in on day 3. and depending on how sensitive you are. Some people can get the side effect on day 1. some people dont feel much.

the side effects are due to your body's tolerance to the antibiotics. with or without GI symptoms have nothing to do with your side effects.

you should get a proper breath/stool test done before taking the antibiotics. I dont think GI Map is the recommended test for diagnosing H. pylori infection.

PaulaC

Post by PaulaC »

Thank you for that information. I completed my treatment on Tuesday May 20 (two days ago). As it turns out, I got pretty lucky with the side effects. All I had was dark, loose stool until Day 11. On that day, four days ago, I made the mistake of drinking alcohol, completely forgetting that one of the meds says clearly on the label, “Do not drink alcohol while on this medication.” It hit me like a Mack truck. I felt godawful for 24 hrs (chills, discomfort, vomiting, general weakness) and moderately bad ever since. It’s getting better, but I still have low energy, am still getting black stools, and my dentist today pointed out that I also have black tongue.

How long does it take for side effects to subside after this treatment? Will mine subside more slowly because of my screw-up with alcohol? In other words, how badly did I screw myself when I stupidly drank alcohol?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

alcohol act as a solvent. normally the effect of alcohol is to reduce the effect of antibiotics. your side effect is probably something else. eg. mentally stressed about it. usually side effect of antibiotics will go away within a week after stopping.

try relax and gather positive thoughts. Looking forward to your UBT result a month later.

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”