Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.

This is a non-profit website. We dont even have those annoying advertisement. We tried our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori. We provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here donating to keep our forum alive.

Confused and worried( question for experts)

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

hopetoheal

Confused and worried( question for experts)

Post by hopetoheal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello,
I got my drg lab test report and according to it my h pylori strain is resistant to several antibiotics ( clarithromycin, imidazole, nitroimidazole). It is however susceptible to tetracycline, b lactamase, flouroquinolones and vancomycin. I am allergic to amoxicillin ( which is a b lactamase antibiotic). I have never heard anyone taking vancomycin for h pylori. What are my treatment options? Before I see my doctor, I want to do my own research.
Thanks in advance.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Confused and worried( question for experts)

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:18 am

You are right. Helicobacter is naturally resistant to vancomycin. In fact we use vancomycin to kill off the contaminants from mouth so Helicobacter can survive in the laboratory.

hopetoheal

Post by hopetoheal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:49 am

My husband and I both did that test and most probably we have the same strain. His strain is also shown susceptible to vancomycin. Do you think it is possible at all?
Have you seen any therapy including levofloxacin and tetracycline.? I am really scared because both of them are very strong antibiotics.

shid0x

Post by shid0x » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:18 pm

hopetoheal wrote:My husband and I both did that test and most probably we have the same strain. His strain is also shown susceptible to vancomycin. Do you think it is possible at all?
Have you seen any therapy including levofloxacin and tetracycline.? I am really scared because both of them are very strong antibiotics.
Well your husband can probably do the sequential therapy
1 week of amoxicilin and 1 week of levofloxacin, it works pretty great.

I guess technically speaking you could do the same with levo and tetra.
Taking them at the same time would be pretty harsh on you.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 am

we sometimes use vancomycin to remove contaminant from biopsy so Helicobacter pylori can grow. Take a look at this Helicobacter pylori supplement that we purchase.
http://www.oxoid.com/UK/blue/prod_detai ... UK&lang=EN

Helicobacter pylori is naturally resistant to vancomycin. So I am not sure why the laboratory tell you that it is susceptible to vancomycin.

Levofloxacin is a good alternative, but H. pylori can gain resistant very easily.

Tetracycline is also a very good alternative because H. pylori is very difficult to become resistant to it.

Tip to increase cure rate.

1. Double the PPI dosage to 40 mg 3 times a day or use a stronger PPI such as Rabeprazole 20 mg 3 times a day.
2. Increase the amoxicillin dosage to 1g, 3 times a day
3. Include bismuth in your treatment. H. pylori will never become resistant to this and in addition, bismuth can prevent C. difficle infection after heavy usage of antibiotics.

hopetoheal

Post by hopetoheal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Thank you so much helico_expert. The problem is that I cannot take amoxicillin. My strain is susceptible to it but I am allergic to it. Don't know if they do sequential therapy using tetracycline and levofloxacin.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:59 pm

I am sorry. Yea, so your choice would be PPI + Bismuth + 2 other antibiotics. Tetracycline and levofloxacin are good choice.

Return to “Treament for Helicobacter”