Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

To reduce SPAM, all post from new members with less than 1 post will require approval from web master.

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.
Contact admin click here

This is a non-profit website. We dont even have those annoying advertisement. We tried our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori. We provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here donating to keep our forum alive.

intravenous option?

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

cathsmith21
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by cathsmith21 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:05 am

Hi,
So an update from my last post.
Got my results back yesterday. With a fantastic but odd result.
Apparently there's no Pylori present. He didn't see any when he did the scope, there was none in the many biopsies he took and nothing grew in the culture in the lab.

He's advised to stick on the Nexium for a couple more months, trying going off it and if symptoms come back do another breath test.

The oddity is the false positive ready from the breath test a few months back
What are the chances of that?

All in all, I'm stoked because I've avoided my original dilemma of how to take the medication to eradicate it.

Great thanks to this forum though, it was good to have some additional advice.

Helico_expert
Site Admin
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:41 am

Definitely a good news. It is odd for the false positive results.

Anyway, your success will bring lights to many forum members.

Thanks for the update.

cathsmith21
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by cathsmith21 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:10 am

So its a year since my last post, all was going well until my symptoms came back late last year. I had a a breath test the other week and it came back positive.
Back where I started, worrying about how I can effectively erradicate this when I can't swallow the numerous antibiotic capsules.....

Helico_expert
Site Admin
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:44 am

I am sorry to hear that. It's rare to get reinfected so quickly. Is anyone staying under the same roof a carrier of H. pylori? someone you share food, drink, toilet and kissed very regularly?

I think you should get an endoscopy and ask your specialist for antibiotic sensitivity testing. That will tell the doctor exactly what antibiotics you should be given to effectively eradicate H. pylori.

cathsmith21
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by cathsmith21 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:37 am

It's been 5-6 yes since the last quadruple therapy, we're awaiting my partners test result. (Blood test not breath was what the go sent for)

Last year when I had an endoscopy to figure out which drugs were best, nothing grew so we thought the breath test was a false positive result.
The Gastroenterologist seemed to have a plan for which ones to use ( different to the last which was Bismuth 300mg, Furazolidone 100mg, Rifabutin 30mg, Levofloxacin 500mg, Pronase 180mg)

I fear he isn't computing the difficulty I have and that I'll just end up with a massive bag of capsules.

Funny thing is after 3 months on ppi's and not feeling great, I've been off them since the breath test 2 weeks ago and I'm not feeling too bad. It just seems to flare up.

Helico_expert
Site Admin
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:49 pm

i must admit, it's not easy to grow H. pylori. We always send a set of biopsies to commercial lab to culture just in case. The commercial lab here has a success rate of 50% while we have a success rate of over 90%. So far, if we cant culture, the commercial lab cant culture.

Then, false positive from breath test? I think it's rare. it depends how positive. is it close to the cut off point? if it is, then may be it's a false positive. If it is like a lot higher, eg. a reading of >1000 dpm, then I think the chance of false positive is rare (close to not possible).

5 drugs treatment! your doctor really brought out the big guns and determined to kill off your H. pylori.

let's wait and see your breath test result.

cathsmith21
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by cathsmith21 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:41 pm

So my partners test results were negative, mine positive. I'm thinking now that I only knocked back the pylori in my 2009 quadruple treatment (enough to get a negative result) but not enough to fully get rid of it.....even with the big guns.

Helico_expert
Site Admin
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:08 am

Then I think it is time to ask your specialist to seriously consider of culturing this strain and find out what antibiotics can be used to kill it off.

cathsmith21
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Re: intravenous option?

Post by cathsmith21 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:05 am

Hi again,
So the specialist wants to put me on de nol, tetracyclim, flagyl and nexium for 2 weeks, without having done a biospy. With an apparent 85% chance of working.

Here's hoping some of these can be compounded into oral suspensions so I can actually take it.

power1
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: intravenous option?

Post by power1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi cathsmith,

the tablets on your new treatment should be less bigger sized than amoxicilin...which chokes me when i was doing them for my 1st and 2nd treatment.
I wish you all the best in your new treatment and braving them.

I was on denol, tetra and metro(flagyl) with another PPI on my last 3rd treatment.
It seems to have gotten rid of my infection, not borderline...but lowered my infection payload perhaps.

some side effects, so, would advise to arm some post-treatment supplements; probiotics, zinc,..etc to kickstart your guts back with good flora.
Try to find more natural supplements, as I found popping pills aren't effective. That is my advise.

I might retake another UBT in the near future, fearing my earlier UBT was a false-negative , eventhough I believe prep myself right for it .

There are times if the urease solution/drink powder are not complete dissolved when we drink for the test, causing the CO2 detection to be low, and false-negative.
Still praying for a good recovery on my end....after 2 years...

All the best and speedy health recovery on your side as well.
Also...would like to share... positive mindset does make a difference.

Post Reply

Return to “Treament for Helicobacter”