Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Brain Bacteria Link?

Weird questions go here! If your question doesn't quite fit the other categories, use this section.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, stomach

mmonahan

Brain Bacteria Link?

Post by mmonahan »

Dr. Marshall,

I read the article in Discover Magazine regarding your findings on the H. pylori bacteria and was fascinated. I have a great deal of curiosity and interest in the world of human microbiology.

I am wondering if you have ever studied microbial overgrowth of other forms, and how they relate to the human mind. In particular I am thinking of the soldiers who are currently serving in war zones. My husband is an Iraqi war vet, and I notice things. I notice how every soldier over there develops what they call the “runs”. I also notice a serious change in my husband's mental health. He is extra agitated, extra easy to anger. His digestive system is still not back in order since his return either. You could call it post war trauma, but my husband didn't really have a traumatic experience over there...

My brother in law is also an Iraq war vet, he has horrible digestive problems. He was put on Cipro every day while he was in Iraq. Now he complains of so much digestive problems, but also mentally he is depressed, quick to anger...just isn't back to his normal self. This is a man who rides a bicycle 20 miles a day, it just doesn't add up in my mind!

I see a link between mental issues in other people and their digestive health. I see the neighbor who lives across the street who is one diabolical mental case. But I also notice that he too has terrible digestive problems which doctors have passed off as “IBS” with no connection whatever to his mental issues. He often times doesn’t leave his house because his bathroom visits occur so frequently. He yells at his wife constantly, very impulsive and quick to anger. It is too similar to my own husband's recent mood change to not notice a connection .

I see my own children, my son who struggles with ADHD. So impulsive he cannot sit still in his seat, even after exercise. He also has terrible gas at times, and has a serious affection for carbohydrates.

Have you ever made sourdough bread from nothing more than flour and water? You set the mixture out on a counter, feeding it more water and flour over the course of 5 days and you grow your own yeast and bacteria concoction that is capable of making enough air bubbles to form a loaf of bread.

With the American dietary consumption primarily consisting of highly refined grains, I wonder if this plays a role in overfeeding some type of bacteria in the body which brings about mental problems. Just as what happens when you culture your own sourdough starter from flour and water.

I thank you for taking time to read my letter. I apologize in advance if my questions appear very childlike and ignorant. I truly would like to know if there are connections between bacteria and mental health I see in the people around me. I wish I were younger and had time to go back to school, I would love to study microbiology!

In any case, thank you for your contributions to the world of science! It's refreshing to know that at least some doctors still think outside of the box.

Melita Monahan

barjammar
Site Admin

Re: Brain Bacteria Link? ADHD, Iraq Syndrome, IBS, Gastro etc.

Post by barjammar »

I symapthise and try to keep an open mind on vague G.I. syndromes, ADHD, but, in general, the concept of gut-brain connections is over-rated in my opinion. Similarly with "food allergy". However, having said that, I do beleive that many bacterial and viral infections still go undiagnosed. The actual balance of various bacterial species in the gut probably does affect how we feel. Genomics and "microbiomics" people are onto this but no big success so far.

There is data to suggest that people who suffer a bout of severe "gastro" subsequently have irritable bowel symptoms in 20% of cases (Lancet article in the 90's I recall). So the Middle East / Iraq syndromes could be something like that. Also, the infection rate for Helicobacter from just being in the army is about 7% per annum. Therefore, get tested for Hp with a blood or breath test. Treat it if positive. Then see if improvement occurs.

Re ADHD - I suggest cutting down the inputs e.g. information sources and amusements if you can. Make the environment more boring. Restrict the number of toys in the bedroom to 4 or 5, keep the rest in a box in the garage, check them in or out one at a time. Maybe then attention to more important things (? schoolwork) will increase. Justa thought! ;)
Check the link below for information on hard-to-treat cases. Then search the forums for questions and answers similar to yours.
docs/200808%20stenstrom%20Hp%20Treatment.pdf

AbbyPrice

Re: Brain Bacteria Link?

Post by AbbyPrice »

Thanks a lot for the issues shared here.
Twas really helpful for my current work.
Also hope to find some more helpful and informative stuff here that could be used by me in future.

Return to “Everything Else 其他”