Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

H pylori eradicated still very gaseous

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Sajal

H pylori eradicated still very gaseous

Post by Sajal »

Completed the triple therapy (Amoxicillin+clarithromycin+rabeprazole) on 4th of march, 2019.

Took follow up test on 19th of april, 2019— RUT negative(still had mild antral gastritis and duodenitis)

Since then I have had been on rabeprazole+domperidone for 10 days and thereafter on ranitidine(300 mg twice daily).
The problem however is still persisting as I still feel gaseous throughout the day. When I get up in the morning I feel fine, but the moment I eat first thing in the morning, it gives me gas.

I am trying to stay positive and give my stomach some time to heal, but it seems that any prospect of recovery is still a far cry.
I am not even sure whether my sufferings are due to the inflammation in my stomach or it is merely the effects of previous presence of h pylori.

It's been 80 days straight since I finished the triple therapy and 28 days on Ranitidine. I have also tried digestive enzymes and probiotics but in vain. Considering the fact that presence of h pylori is responsible for the inflammation of stomach, are 80 days not enough for stomach to heal itself from inflammation?
I have hardly found patients in this forum who have experienced problems related to gas as their major symptom.
I am clueless. Please provide some insight.

Thankyou.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: H pylori eradicated still very gaseous

Post by Helico_expert »

1. Not all symptoms are because of H. pylori.
2. Some damage done by H. pylori is not reversible.
3. I know a few people who never had H. pylori but always have gas.

Lastly, must stay positive. Believe that one day your condition will improve.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

As best as I can remember, I never really had any sort of problem related to gas before this h pylori thing came in my life. It all really started suddenly. My symptoms were so excruciating that just after 2 days I straightaway went to gastroenterologist. I knew it was something serious.

What do you mean when you said some damages are irreversible? Do I have to live with this gas throughout my life? It is not like that my symptoms have not improved over time , but the recovery is so slow (the intensity of gas pressure has reduced).

Also, why is my gastritis not improving despite h pylori being eradicated almost three months ago? I suspect this gas symptom might be because of gastritis.
For how long should I continue taking Ranitidine (been a month since I started taking Ranitidine)?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Most people catch H. pylori when they are young. Studies have shown that children as young as 2 years old is already infected with H. pylori. So for decades, H. pylori has been slowly damaging your stomach lining and for most people that they are asymptomatic, they dont know about it. Until one day, the damage done is serious enough to cause a symptom, then you realise something is wrong. Luckily, most damage is reversible, as specially when you are young and healthy. But there are damages that are non reversible. I cannot pin point exactly how and what. But it explains why certain people remain symptomatic even after H. pylori eradication. It also explains the risk of gastric cancer remain high at the age of over 50, even after H. pylori eradication.

Therefore, we always encourage people to get rid of H. pylori even when they are asymptomatic. It may be too late when the symptoms appear.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

I have been on ranitidine for a month now. Should I stop taking it? If not, for how long should I continue?

cyprian zimunya

Post by cyprian zimunya »

Can i use metronidazole again after using it on my last therapy ..my new quad therapy is amox 1g three times a day + bismuth 240mg four times a day +omeprazole 40mg 2 times a day and metronidazole 200mg three times a day...should i continue using metronidazole or switch on to another antibiotic such as tetracycline

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Sajal wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:55 pm
I have been on ranitidine for a month now. Should I stop taking it? If not, for how long should I continue?
Ranitidine is pretty safe. you can continue to take it if you have symptoms. If you dont, you can stop anytime. You need to get a follow up breath test when you can. Just stop ranitidine the night before breath test.

Can i use metronidazole again after using it on my last therapy ..my new quad therapy is amox 1g three times a day + bismuth 240mg four times a day +omeprazole 40mg 2 times a day and metronidazole 200mg three times a day...should i continue using metronidazole or switch on to another antibiotic such as tetracycline
Nope, you cannot take metronidazole anymore, unless you are combining metronidazole with tetracycline. You can continue bismuth and amox. perhaps you can try PPI + bismuth + amox + ciprofloxacin. talk to your doctor about the possibility of taking ciprofloxacin.

cyprian zimunya

Post by cyprian zimunya »

I have used ciprofloxacin before ..should i add other antibiotic such as levofloxacin there because other antiniotics such as furazolidone are not widely spread in my country

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I have used ciprofloxacin before ..should i add other antibiotic such as levofloxacin there because other antiniotics such as furazolidone are not widely spread in my country
Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin are from the same family. resistant to one will mean resistant to all similar antibiotics in the same class. Furazolidone is possible, but perhaps you should try rifabutin or tetracycline first. Rifabutin and tetracycline have less side effect compare to furazolidone.

talk to your doctor about them.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

I did go for follow up RUT which came out negative. It was about 40 days ago.

The only symptom that I had since beginning (before I found out I have h pylori) was having excess amount of gas in my stomach and throat. It felt like a lump in my throat, and I had no clue that all my sufferings are because of gas only; It was only when I finished triple therapy— which to an extent lessened the pressure of gas— I finally realised it.
Apart from that, I did not suffer any sort of pain, heartburn, diarrhoea etcetera.
Now, though, the intensity of pressure of gas in my throat is lessened, yet it is the most pestering thing I ever came across.

What I believe is h pylori gave me no other symptoms apart from inflammating my stomach and duodenum which in turn gave me gas. When I did the follow up test the inflammation was still there.

Is it possible that my gas symptom is because of gastritis and duodenitis?
If yes, what should I do to cure it? I have been on ppis and Ranitidine for about 3 months now, but it is not helping at all.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”