Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Diagnosis skepticism

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

frostyfreez

Diagnosis skepticism

Post by frostyfreez »

I am a 25 y/o female and I recently found out that I have H pylori in the stomach, confirmed from a breath test and bloodwork. I was prescribed the 14 day course of antibiotics, however I have not taken the treatment yet because I know how rough the process is, and I am afraid of the havoc that antibiotics can wreak on my gut down the line.

The symptoms I have are:
- low iron
- constipation
- burping when eating or drinking
- unpleasant breath smell that doesn't go away after brushing my teeth (I only noticed this very recently, in the past couple of months)
- pain in abdomen after eating (I always felt that this was gas that couldn't be released, and I honestly don't get this pain as often anymore as I used to)

The reason for my skepticism is that I'm not convinced that my GI problems are actually caused by the H pylori. My doctor believes I need to treat the h pylori is the iron deficiency, however I feel that this is common among women my age and not necessarily related to the h pylori. Other than that, I feel that my symptoms are quite mild and common, and also may not be related to the h pylori.

I have seen over and over again that H pylori is extremely common and that most people do not ever experience symptoms, which makes me wonder if it's actually the cause of my symptoms, or just happens to be there. I'm wondering what those with experience would recommend. Should I take the antibiotics just to be sure the H pylori is gone? Or should I get a second doctor's opinion and try to find out if the antibiotics are needed?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Diagnosis skepticism

Post by Helico_expert »

You are most likely right that your symptoms may not be because of H. pylori.

But it's not a good bacteria and damage in your stomach is accumulating. You may be asymptomatic when you are young, because you are healthy and fit. But as the damage accumulate and your repair mechanism slows down as you aged, then you can become symptomatic in older age.

Many doctors like to treat H. pylori also because there is an actual target to kill. The antibiotics used can also kill off other pathogen not diagnosed. It's like a big reset button to your guts microbes. After the antibiotics, you can take some probiotics and hopefully able to suppress the bad bacteria from over growing.

Zizem

Post by Zizem »

Hello ,

I'm now 33 years old and female.

I've read your story, and I suggest you be treated.

I was diagnosed 10 years ago, antibiotic treatment was too hard for me, I gave up at the end of the first day.

I told my doctor the problems but hp were insignificant for my doctor.

But the heavy drug was only one of them (Levofloxacin). If she had prescribed another antibiotic instead of the drug, I would be able to complete the treatment.

Anyway, after 10 years, I met metaplasia, responsible for this situation only helicobacter pylori.

I started treatment last month. I didn't feel any side effects in my treatment and I really regret it for everything.

Besides, not everyone has the same results. Maybe you're gonna get through very comfortably.

Please be treated, you have a chance.

frostyfreez

Post by frostyfreez »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:39 pm
You are most likely right that your symptoms may not be because of H. pylori.

But it's not a good bacteria and damage in your stomach is accumulating. You may be asymptomatic when you are young, because you are healthy and fit. But as the damage accumulate and your repair mechanism slows down as you aged, then you can become symptomatic in older age.

Many doctors like to treat H. pylori also because there is an actual target to kill. The antibiotics used can also kill off other pathogen not diagnosed. It's like a big reset button to your guts microbes. After the antibiotics, you can take some probiotics and hopefully able to suppress the bad bacteria from over growing.
Thanks for your advice. I was leaning towards taking the antibiotics, just needed some confirmation that it is the smart thing to do.
Regarding probiotics, is there a specific strain that you recommend? I should mention that I have had persistent issues with vaginal health, which I worry is a result of taking antibiotics twice for UTI symptoms (hence my reluctance to take the antibiotics again this time). It seems that my pH levels and bacteria are all out of whack, and this is what I'm most worried about worsening. I just ordered some women's health probiotics with lactobacillus, is this a good probiotic to take while treating the h pylori?

frostyfreez

Post by frostyfreez »

@Zizem

Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and wish you the best. I will take the prescribed antibiotics and hopefully can avoid any future complications by taking probiotics. I needed some convincing that the pros outweighed the cons.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

unfortunately I cannot have any recommendation for probiotics. You'll just have to trial whatever you have in your region. I am sure you'll be able to find one that suits you.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”