Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Goes around, comes around

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Campanile

Goes around, comes around

Post by Campanile »

Hello, I am an older lady who has just stopped quad therapy due to ill effects from it. I was put on flagyl and doxycline, not sure which one caused the problem, but after four days I was sicker than ever and literally losing my mind and hyperventilating. As I write I am waiting for my doctor to tell me how to proceed. I also learned I am a rapid metabolizer of PPI.

Ihave been following Dr.Marshall since he made the headlines. Why? Because of the h pylori and ulcer connection.
My father, a chief boatswain's mate, in the US Navy during WWII, developed severe ulcers while stationed in the Panama and South Pacific. In 1953 most of his stomach was removed, but no supplemental B12 was prescribed until he was ill in the 1970's, due to a lack of intrinsic factor. My dad told me he was not the only sailor who had gastritis in Panama, so we theorized from this information that it wasn't necessarily stress that caused his misery, maybe it was a bug. We were over joyed that Dr.Marshall was able to prove to the world that h pylori was the ulcer bug.

However, I am not overjoyed that all these decades later I have been knocked down by this vexatious microbe. What bugs me (pun) is that I am being treated based on a blood test, not a stool sample. The nurse practicioner instructed me to take peptobismol before I had a stool sample, which invalidated the test. I wonder if I have had this bug all my life and what strain it is.

I believe an injury in Aug. started the cascade to h pylori. I was told to take NSAIDs something I had never used in the past. I began to feel unwell and anxious, but I attributed this to my slow healing. About two months ago I was put on a three day course of Bactrim, afterward this I was exhausted, belching, stomach roiling and seeing watery, yellow stool. My sense of smell disappeared, my mouth ached and I clenched my jaw. My foot inflammation got worse to the point I am on crutches.

I started researching eradicating h pylori when I tested positive for it and I was dismayed by the number of people who are seeking help via the Internet. Some talk of being sick for years. It is frightening.

What can I do to increase the odds of a successful eradication? I read that the Japanese use zinc-carnosine to magnify the effect of antibiotic therapy.

Helico_scientist

Re: Goes around, comes around

Post by Helico_scientist »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. And sorry to hear about all your issues. I'm afraid the only effective way to eradicate this bacteria is to complete the full treatment of antibiotics. If these antibiotics don't work for you, there is others you can try as well as different dosage. Stool or blood test won't make any difference to treat you. The only way to know which antibiotics you are sensitive to, is to have an endoscopy where we can take biopsy and culture the bacteria for antibiotic testing. However, not everyone have to go through endoscopy to be cured. Just try to avoid the most common antibiotics you might have already taken in your life, as it is likely that your H. pylori is already resistant to it.
For information, it is very likely that you have had this bacteria all your life. It is usually transmitted during childhood by parents.
Good luck.

Campanile

Post by Campanile »

Thank you for taking your time to write to me. My doctor's office is not returning my calls and I am not quite sure what I should do since it is not possible for me to write my own prescriptions.

Oddly, I feel significantly better than I did last week, no more fire breathing dragon in my stomach and severe anxiety, maybe it is because I am taking mastic gum and numerous other "holistic" items until I can get medical attention.

What does concern me is my stool is greenish black 3 days after taking bismuth. Is this normal? There was no blood in my original stool sample.

Also, I have inflamed peroneal tendons and cannot walk without crutches. And I am seeing a neurosurgeon on Thursday regarding an 8mm aneurysm in the Circle of Willis. There is too much going on simultaneously. :o

Campanile

Post by Campanile »

I would like to add this information. My DNA indicates I am a fast metabolizer of PPI. I did some research about this factor to determine if it could impact the quad therapy and I learned that it can. I also learned that second generation PPIs would be the ones to take if you are fast metabolizer.

Campanile

Post by Campanile »

Interesting, but puzzling turn of events. After taking mastic gum, probiotics and GSE for a month ( without taking bismuth) I submitted a stool sample to be tested; it was negative for h pylori. The doctor said the test was a good one and it is reliable. :D

I am thrilled, but at the same time quite confused. It makes me wonder if I actually had an active h pylori infection to begin with or was I just one of the lucky people who had an h pylori strain that was not resistant to mastic gum? Or is it possible that four days of antibiotics was enough combined with the mastic gum to wipe it out?

Should I be cautious and continue taking the mastic gum, etc, with bismuth this time for a few weeks more just to be sure?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

if the result is true, then you can stop taking all the supplement and wait a month, then repeat the test again. possible to get a breath test? not that it is better, but if a different test also showed a negative result, then you can almost confirm the eradication and concentrate on the healing.

Campanile

Post by Campanile »

Thank you for the sage advice. I am seeing my GP on Thursday and I will request a follow up breath test, because a negative result would save me from taking unnecessary medications and a positive one would require treatment. I just remembered that my cousin died a painful death at age 33 from stomach cancer in the 1970's, the likely culprit: h pylori. I want to avoid a similar fate.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I am sorry to hear your cousin's fate. But, it's a bit young for a 33 yr old to develop gastric cancer. I suspect it's more genetic related. Hence, you should monitor your stomach even closer. Better arrange an endoscopy once a year or two.

Campanile

Post by Campanile »

I just got back from seeing my PCP, who has scheduled me for an endoscopy and colonoscopy on May 6. (I will ask the gastro to check for h pylori) The PCP said I don't need a follow up breath test, because the stool test was negative, he supported this by telling me that I was treated based on a positive blood test that is not associated with an antigen number, implying I probably didn't have an active infection in the first place. GRR...this is so frustrating and concerning.

Regarding the genetic component, through DNA test results at 23andme I have a slightly above average chance of getting gastric cancer, so it is possible my cousin had the same marker I carry. In any case, I am 10 years overdue for the colonoscopy, hopefully it will be normal.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I think we should just wait for the endoscopy result. remind the doctor to get a biopsy for histology to confirm the HP negative.

Also, here is another food of thought. Salt and preserve food has been suggested with association with gastric cancer. So, it is perhaps something you want to modify in your diet. I wouldnt say zero salt diet. I think a moderate salt intake is fine.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... sk-factors

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”