Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

To reduce SPAM, all post from new members with less than 1 post will require approval from web master.

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.
Contact admin click here

Another question on false negatives

Blood tests (for antibody) are used to screen for H.pylori. They remain positive for many months after treatment so can only be used as the initial test. Urine antibody is a "pregnanacy style" urine test. Accuracy is slightly less than blood tests. A negative blood test is good evidence that Hp is NOT present. Use it to exclude the diagnosis (but no test is 100% perfect remember).

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Quentin2

Another question on false negatives

Post by Quentin2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 am

Hello,

I am suffering from what my doctor believes is a duodenal ulcer. The symptoms started many years ago but disappeared after a couple of weeks, until a year ago when I took ibuprofen for flu symptoms that would not go away. My doctor suspected that the ibuprofen may not have caused the ulcer but merely could have worsened damage done by H. Pylori, so a blood test was done - it came back negative.

Considering that many months have passed now after having stopped the ibuprofen and been on omeprazole and then pantocid and the pain remaining, I am wondering if the two courses of antibiotics I was on (for flu) could have caused a false negative result since I stopped them a day before the test?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Another question on false negatives

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 am

if you took antibiotics, then yes, it's likely to give false negative results. Please follow this guideline to how to use UBT.

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

Quentin2

Post by Quentin2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Thank you for your reply! Just to be sure though, I did not do the breath test, it was the blood test. Does the same apply?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 am

I am so sorry. My bad. Blood test is very sensitive and unlikely to give false negative result. So, if the blood test is negative, most likely it is true negative. antibiotics or PPI will not affect the blood test result.

Return to “Antibody type Tests (blood or urine antibody)”