Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

To reduce SPAM, all post from new members with less than 1 post will require approval from web master.

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.
Contact admin click here

False Negative Blood Test??

Blood tests (for antibody) are used to screen for H.pylori. They remain positive for many months after treatment so can only be used as the initial test. Urine antibody is a "pregnanacy style" urine test. Accuracy is slightly less than blood tests. A negative blood test is good evidence that Hp is NOT present. Use it to exclude the diagnosis (but no test is 100% perfect remember).

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

new2hp

False Negative Blood Test??

Post by new2hp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 am

Hello,
Two weeks ago I had a negative blood test for H. Pylori. I had an EGD done last week and the biopsy was positive for H. Pylori. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering which was incorrect. I know the biopsy should be the correct one but I know pathologists make mistakes too. Just wondering how often this occurs because I can't find much online.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: False Negative Blood Test??

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 am

no single test is 100%. but it is very rare that blood test will fail. nevertheless, in this situation you'll need another test to confirm. have you got a histology test? or Culture?

new2hp

Post by new2hp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:02 am

I don't know, would they do that on the biopsy they took?

new2hp

Post by new2hp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 am

My Diff-quick stain was negative but my HP Fast was positive

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 pm

interesting. so you have 2 negative and 1 positive tests. I trust HP Fast better. however, there are false positives in HP Fast. How positive is your HP Fast test? border line positive or high positive? what did your endoscopy report says? any inflammation?

if you have no symptom, no inflammation, no ulcer or anything significant, you can ignore it.

Return to “Antibody type Tests (blood or urine antibody)”