Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin.

This is a non-profit website. We dont even have those annoying advertisement. We tried our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori. We provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here donating to keep our forum alive.

Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Blood tests (for antibody) are used to screen for H.pylori. They remain positive for many months after treatment so can only be used as the initial test. Urine antibody is a "pregnanacy style" urine test. Accuracy is slightly less than blood tests. A negative blood test is good evidence that Hp is NOT present. Use it to exclude the diagnosis (but no test is 100% perfect remember).

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Emma_shae

Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Post by Emma_shae » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m a 28 year old female that has been suffering from constipation now for 5 years. The only way I am able to go to the toilet is with a dulcolax suppository which I have to use on a daily basis. I exercise 4-5 days a week, eat a healthy balanced diet and have overall good health. Unfortunately I do smoke cigarettes and have the occasional wine, but other than that I try to nourish my body. Besides the constipation, I always have a lot of mucus in my stools and over the last couple of years I have been getting a lot of mucus in my throat on a daily basis. I started thinking this was from smoking but read that H. Pylori can cause mucus and flu like symptoms..? I do not suffer from heartburn, reflux or any major stomach pains. I do occasionally get bloating in my stomach and fatigue though. I was a vegetarian for 4 years and even introduced meat back into my diet about a year ago trying anything that would help my symptoms.
I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done about two years ago and I tested positive for H.pylori and lymphocytic enteritis. The doc didn’t really explain what these infections were and when I asked if this may be causing my constipation he replied, ‘it shouldn’t be’ and that was the end of that discussion. I was prescibed the antibiotics, took the full dose and the constipation remained the same. It wasn’t until two months ago when I got all my bloods tested that it came back positive for H. Pylori.. after seeing this, I started doing a little research and was so surprised to find out how serious this can become. My question is, does H. Pylori cause serious constipation? The majority of reports I have read focus mainly on diarrhea and heart burn etc.. I would also like to point out that I brought home a parasite from India which gave me Diarrhea for the first time in 5 years! This only lasted 2 weeks and then I was back to the old suppositories 😑 I am so fed up with taking them and not being able to go to the toilet like a normal person. Even when I got gastro from my partner I couldn’t go to the toilet, I just threw up for 3 days straight! I have just started taking slippery elm, mastic gum, broccoli sprouts and marshmallow root as I’ve read this all helps with gut problems. I have been taking a good probiotic for a couple of years also. Any help on H. Pylori and constipation would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Emma 😊

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Have you tried getting rid of H. pylori with antibiotics?

Emma_shae

Post by Emma_shae » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 am

Yes I took the full dose 2 years ago prescibed by the doctor as I wrote above.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am

do you still remember what antibiotics you were given for H. pylori? Have you done another test after the treatment to show that your treatment then work?

museaddict

Post by museaddict » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:12 pm

I think constipation is one of the symptoms of H.pylori
since I have H.pylori my stransit became very slow and I'm constipated so yes H.pylori can cause constipation

Return to “Antibody type Tests (blood or urine antibody)”