Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Please can you help - I am confused and worried

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

ChrisJK
Genuine user

Please can you help - I am confused and worried

Post by ChrisJK » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 am

Hi guys
I’m a new visitor to your site and I must say that I’m incredibly impressed with the level of help, advice and general information that you provide.

I’m a 38 year old male from the UK, Approx 4 years ago I started having brief stomach cramps shortly after waking while laying in bed. They didn’t happen immediately and would disappear if I got out of bed. If I lay there, my stomach would almost crunch after 10-15 mins of pain, then subside. This coincided with a very difficult and prolonged bout of strong anxiety having left my job to start a business - it was a very tough time that lasted 6-9 months.

Over the past year or so, the morning stomach pain has become more infrequent and in fact I can’t recall the last time it happened. However I have slowly become more aware of acid reflux generally from mid to late afternoon. I drink a lot of tea and coffee and drink alcohol every week. My job entails a lot of corporate entertaining which includes rich food and alcohol. In the past two weeks I have stopped drinking tea/coffee/alcohol and the reflux has cleared up.

I have very strong health anxiety and started googling reflux, then stomach pains and being 100% honest, got myself in a real state. Awful time. I pretty much diagnosed myself with H Pylori.

I have no problems with appetite, spicey food, have no weight loss, or any other symptoms. I train hard and am physically fit. Onions can sometimes cause reflux as does Red Wine. If I binge drink I get a hangover and minor toilet troubles the next day however I’m sure most people get that after a night out drinking.

The main trigger for my concern re H Pylori infection is that 6 years ago I had 2 weeks of watery stool following a trip to Egypt. On various other internet sites I’ve read lots of comments from people saying “I caught H Pylori from food/water on holiday in Egypt”. This surprises and confuses me as I thought this route of infection was very rare?

Please can you provide me with some advice as I’m at my wits end thinking about all this non stop.

Thank you

Chris

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Please can you help - I am confused and worried

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 am

we are the expert in H. pylori. Unfortunately H. pylori is not the only thing that can cause all the problem you are experiencing. To get rid of H. pylori, you need antibiotics. However, antibiotics come with side effects and we dont want your other guts bacteria to become resistance by exposing them to unnecessary antibiotics. Therefore, I think the best way for you is to see a GP and get a breath test done. It's totally non invasive and simple.

ChrisJK
Genuine user

Post by ChrisJK » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for the response, it is very much appreciated.

Two questions if I may:

- My doctor takes an age to do anything but I believe I can get a blood test at a local health centre. Will this be good enough?

- From reading this forum it would seem that the the likelihood of contracting HP from food in Egypt is rare - is that correct?

- If I did have HP is is likely triple therapy will work? I have had no antibiotics other than 2 zithromax tablets in the last 10 years

Thank you again

Chris

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm

in your case, a blood test is good enough because you have not had any antibiotics for a while.

if you look after your personal hygiene, eg. no sharing food/drinks, always wash your hands, make sure everyone living under the same roof is clean and free of HP. Then your chance of catching HP back is close to zero.

i am not sure if triple therapy will work from where you are from. but it's safe and has the least side effect. Should always try that first. However, you can always modify the standard triple therapy to make it better.

for example:
1. double dose standard PPI
2. at least 2g Amox a day
3. add bismuth in your treatment to boost the success rate.

ChrisJK
Genuine user

Post by ChrisJK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 am

Many thanks again.

I’ve read that the UK first line treatmemt is normally amoxcilin 1g with clarithromycin 500g and a PPI (or something along these lines). The UK National Health Service website states that this gives success in 80-85% of patients.

I really hope this is correct as I’m petrified by some of the stories I have read online. They’ve really scared me.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 am

if you rarely expose to antibiotics, 80-85% would be the cure rate of standard triple therapy. Nevertheless, I still recommend you to suggest the modification to your GP.

ChrisJK
Genuine user

Post by ChrisJK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:34 am

Thank you Helico Expert, I really do appreciate your responses and advice.

I very rarely expose to antibiotics.

First of all I need to get tested. I will speak again with my Doctor.

Many thanks

Chris

Wakar
Genuine user

Post by Wakar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Any body try matula tea it's herbal and 98% success rate of eradiction of hpylori with out any side effect

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:47 pm

First time I learnt about Matula tea. Did a few search and found a few forums discussing about it.

There are lots of positive and negative feedback on this product.

Therefore, i think this product only works for a particular group of people. according to other forums, it's not cheap to try. What I dont like is that the official website only accept HPSA (stool antigen) test result to prove that your H. pylori is indeed eradicated; and do not accept UBT and endoscopy. If the product is truly working, why wouldnt they accept UBT and endoscopy result, which are the gold standard diagnostic test? perhaps their product only mask the HPSA? very suspicious.

anyway, have to remind you all that H. pylori hides under the thick mucous where most of the natural product cannot reach. That's why many natural product failed to eradicate H. pylori. The antibiotics on the other hand, is absorbed in the blood and attack H. pylori when it get nutrients from the stomach cells.

Wakar
Genuine user

Post by Wakar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi Expert

My first line antibiotic therapy fail to eradicate HP
2 weeks before . I need help treatment without antibiotics beacuse my stomach too much effected after taking antibiotics

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”