Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

false negative stool test and positive biopsy

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: false negative stool test and positive biopsy

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Unless endoscopy is planned, a practical approach is to use serology to identify initial infection and the stool antigen test or urea breath test to determine cure, if indicated.
https://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0401/p1327.html

There are many scientific articles out there that suggest not to use blood test for checking if the treatment is successful.
Two months after H. pylori treatment, 13% (11/86) of persons whose H. pylori infection was eradicated converted from seropositive for H. pylori antibodies to seronegative; this increased to 29% (18/63) 2 years after treatment.
The results of this study show that single IgG measurements should not be used to determine H. pylori treatment outcomes. In addition, antibodies remain circulating long after successful treatment, and therefore H. pylori-specific IgG antibodies should not be used to diagnose active infection in persons previously treated for an H. pylori infection.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1797704/

So I think your relative is probably lucky.

helicosufferer
Genuine user

Post by helicosufferer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Ya, very lucky.
Happy for her but she is still struggling with after treatment symptoms :?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:37 am

It is important to confirm treatment. if her symptoms persist, she should do another test, perhaps UBT, after a few months.

helicosufferer
Genuine user

Post by helicosufferer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:02 am

Yes I think it is preferable she takes another test to confirm.

May I ask: what is the scientific opinion for the DNA stool test for HP?

Also if I want to stop my nexium 20mg once daily,what is the equivalent dose to it from H2 blocker?
I need to replace my ppi with something that has the same effect because I can't do without it for the time being.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

DNA testing is sensitive.. but sometimes too sensitive. The false positive and false negative rate of DNA testing has not been verified. DNA testing has not been recommended as a standard diagnostic test. Nevertheless, when all other tests fail, DNA test can be used.

on the other hand, PPI stop the stomach from producing acid. H2 blocker neutralize the acid directly. Therefore, PPI is slow acting, but has better acid inhibition for long term. H2 blocker is fast acting, but poor for long term acid inhibition.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing”