Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Weight gain/loss, Lethargy, Hunger, Anemia

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Lgkanary@gmail.com

Weight gain/loss, Lethargy, Hunger, Anemia

Post by Lgkanary@gmail.com »

GertieBird | 12 min ago
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Third day of quadruple therapy and doing good so far.

I've noticed several conflicting things about h pylori...
- low iron is associated with h pylori, which should lead to low metabolism which leads to lethargy, which leads to unexplained weight gain and the inability to lose that gained weight,
- ulcers lead people to have constant hunger, which encourages extra eating to satisfy or relieve feelings of hunger, which trains your body after awhile to eat when hunger strikes, although it probably isn't real hunger just disturbances from the ulcer, which should lead to weight gain.

There is one post to which no one replies about weight gain but 100's of weight loss posts. It seems contradictory to me.

I have low iron, gained 30-40 lbs, really tried 4 healthy diets (yeast free, exercise with 1300 calorie diet, paleo, 4 hour body) and iron supplements but nothing worked.

I am hoping the therapy works and that I get my iron back up, weight back down and energy back.

Any advice or thoughts? I could use the encouragement :)

Cheers!
GB
Report this post

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Weight gain/loss, Lethargy, Hunger, Anemia

Post by Helico_expert »

You are right about H. pylori associated with iron deficiency. H. pylori absorbs iron like a sponge. However, what regulates human absorbing iron is still unknown. Similar to calcium, it's not like drinking milk everyday and you'll not get osteoporosis. It's how much calcium you absorbed that count.

Some people regain their iron level after eradicating H. pylori. But many doesnt. I think the truth is, it is a very complex problem. Some scientists believe that H. pylori produces toxin or signals that may affect the microflora in the intestine and leads to the effect weight gain or loss. But the mechanism is still unknown.

Lgkanary@gmail.com

It does seem to be the absorption; however, the only time I was able to make gains before realizing I had h pylori was when I was on a yeast free diet and taking a liquid iron supplement. My iron levels, which should be 34-40, went from 13 to 21; however, my levels plateaued. My mother had h pylori and low iron as well. She never had iron problems after h pylori eradication. I'm hoping the same holds true forms as well.

momof3

Post by momof3 »

Hi,
I just discovered this forum. I just finished 2 weeks of medication. My iron levels were very low. I was just wondering if your iron levels went up? Are you feeling better? Have things improved for you?

=)

Lgkanary@gmail.com

momof3 wrote:Hi,
I just discovered this forum. I just finished 2 weeks of medication. My iron levels were very low. I was just wondering if your iron levels went up? Are you feeling better? Have things improved for you?

=)
Hi momof3!
I have not yet had my iron levels checked, its still too early. I will get them checked at the end of August. I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!!!! I am continuing to take probiotics, iron, multivitamin, vitamin C and D, tumeric, and garlic. I am finally starting to see that my clothes are getting looser, I can smell again, I am not tired and craving food 24/7, my personality is back again - no more anxiety and depression.

I hope you are feeling better. I think you have to take care of yourself after the treatment because it can be really hard on your system. Good luck and let me know if you notice any improvements!

Cheers

Deela

Post by Deela »

Hi GertieBird,
Hope you’re all well. I hope you’re still on this forum to help shed some light....unlike most ppl, i am going through the symptoms you mentioned (weight gain, iron deficiency) from Hp. I just finished my antibiotics tretment about two weeks ago and will be re-tested in another week. I’ve had three iron infusions so far and another one scheduled for next week. I was at a healthy weight before all this mess started...i gained 10 pounds in a month or so, went through severe constipation which still continues, my last blodd test showed anemia even after 2 rounds if infusion (but the blood test was taken prior to hp diagnosis) sonim hoping its since been eradicated. I do t have ulcer (knock on wood) or nausea but i have bloating, its borderline crippling! I am right now controlling my weight through vigorous exercise and creating calorie deficit daily! Ordinary, my body would respond positively to this kind if strict regiment but no i can even lose half a pound! Im frustrated! Cant get any sensible explanation from my dr...i feel like i’ve become my own Doctor through all the research and reading i’m doing, especially with all the medical studies available. Did you start losing weight? When? Did you have to tske any medication after ho eradication to kickstart your weightloss? Any advice would be appreciated!

Jimchicago

Post by Jimchicago »

I am now starting the treatment for my h.pylori..As to weight gain. I have gained almost 50 lbs in 8 months...My Dr. Had no explanation all tests where great. I was having a little trouble swallowing,almost felt like vomiting and went for a endo.Thats when I tested positive for h.pylori..I am 47 year old Male. I went from 210 to 260. Any advice would be appreciated. My prescribing Dr. Is great just somewhat not well versed in pylori..Should I take vitamins or what? I do not smoke or drink.I will be taking my first dose right after breakfast this morning..

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

you were given the triple therapy? two tips,
1. higher dose PPI increase cure rate.
2. you can add bismuth (pepto bismol) to boost the cure rate

with or without vitamin is up to you. that apply to other herbs or probiotics. If you feel good taking any supplement, just go for it.

Jimchicago

Post by Jimchicago »

I was given Pylera....12 a day....I feel very fatigued all the time.I am very active. Walk 3 miles at least a day...But should I take multivitamin or what else might help....ty

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

There is no guideline to what you should take together with PYLERA. You can take whatever that makes you feel better. If you feel that multivatamin helps, go for it.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”