Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Do I have Helicobacter?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

RandomUser
Genuine user

Do I have Helicobacter?

Post by RandomUser » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello!

--UPDATE: Stool sample, blood test and CLO test from endoscopy were Helicobacter-negative, so it is unlikely I have HP. However I am still struggling with adbominal pain, and bloating, please see later posts, including endoscopy photos--

I am a 26 year old male and about five weeks ago I suddenly got a constantly bloated and stiff stomach and dull upper abdominal pain with loss of appetite, and that more or less 24/7. Recently that started to "push" on my bladder and I feel I have more pressure to pee. Normal stool behaviour though. Never had much stomach issues. By now it is pretty clear to me that it is Helicobacter, but I still didnt get the antiobiotics!
When it started I went to the doctor and she just gave me Omeprazole. Helped a bit but didn't go away, so I returned to another doctor, she told me to do a blood and stool test, but didn't tell me to stop Omeprezole. I did it anyway a few days before the test because I did my own research that said it could make Helicobacter stool tests unreliable. During that time I also noticed how it got quite a lot worse just in these few days of not taking any pills.

Now weeks later I finally get the results: Blood is fine, helicobacter stool test is negative. I discuss them with yet another doctor who immediately said I should have not taken the Omeprazole two weeks before the test, so it could be a false negative. So far, 2/2 doctors here in London were therefore incompetent (the first one could have given me a stool test right away I think?)
Now we will do another blood and stool test in two weeks, and I am stopping Omeprazole. She said she THINKS that Gaviscon and Zantac (Ranitidine) will not affect the reliability of the stool test. Is that really correct? Are there any studies? Or just lack of evidence that it has an effect? I really want to avoid two things: 1. Being in constant pain for the next two weeks which I fear could set in within a few days without any meds and 2. Taking any meds that return in a false negative Helicobacter stool test so they will still refuse to give me antiobiotics...

Thank you all for your help!
Last edited by RandomUser on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: What medicine to take before the stool test

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:29 am

Yea, ranitidine is fine. Here is our guideline for breath test. it works for stool test too.

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

blood test tells you the history of infection. If blood test is negative, then it is almost certain that you do not have H. pylori. But if blood test is positive, you will never know if you still have it. People who were infected with H. pylori, even after HP eradication, they carry blood with HP antibody for three years or more. So Blood test can never be used to check if you still have H. pylori.

RandomUser
Genuine user

Post by RandomUser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks, helps a lot!

So you are saying that if the blood test is negative, it is certain I do NOT have HP, and if it is positive it could be HP but it could also be eradicated and antibodies still remain? I don't think my blood was tested for HP though because they wanted to check for anemia, but I will ask during my next appointment to make sure.

RandomUser
Genuine user

Post by RandomUser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:20 pm

If it isnt HP then I actually dont really know what it even could be. I actually hoped for it to be HP as it is something that has good chance of being cleared with antiobiotics... Any ideas on that would also be appreciated so I can probe my doctor accordingly!

RandomUser
Genuine user

Post by RandomUser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Because it's probably related, I'll also shares this story: Although I dont usually have stomach problems, just a few months after I moved from Germany to London (About half a year ago) I ate a baguette in the morning and then an hour or so later had REALLY intense upper abdominal cramps/pain for about 15-20 minutes, coming in waves. It came quite quickly. I recovered equally fast from it, but I had never such an extreme reaction. Could that be when I was originally infected?
Thanks to you all!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 am

You are right about the blood test.

Normally H. pylori rarely give acute reaction. People usually caught H. pylori when they are very young. Less likely for adults to catch it.

a sudden stomach pain could also due to food allergy or intoxication.

RandomUser
Genuine user

Post by RandomUser » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 am

Just wanted to give you guys an update - The blood test wasnt even testing for Helicobacter! They dont do that, for some reason they lack the facilities! Nobody told me clearly though and just said both tests were negative. They told me the blood test is not that accurate anyway?!

A second blood and stool test that is now planned. Hopefully the two weeks break from Omeprazole will be enough to make the stool test accurate..

Now Im waking up every night because of stomach pain. Does anyone have an idea how much the stomach is damaged/how much harder it is to recover if not treated immediately but after a two months???

For anyone in London: AVOID Essex Lodge.2-3 Weeks waiting for an appointment, and doctors arent that good

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:00 am

two months is a long time. it's harder for stomach to recover if you have an ulcer. usually ulcer patients are required to take PPI for a month. because when the stomach lining is damaged (eg. have an ulcer), the damaged area dont produce enough mucous to stop acid digesting the stomach wall. So the ulcer is constantly being expose to ulcer and very hard to heal.

Nevertheless, if that's the case, you can take ranitidine to control the acid. Ranitidine is fast acting and short lifespan in the stomach. So you can stop Ranitidine 6 hours before breath or stool test.

here is a guideline how to use breath test. it works for stool tests too.
http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

RandomUser
Genuine user

Post by RandomUser » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you so much for your continuing support! I hope other people are going to be better equipped at dealing with this problem after reading this here.

Called the praxis, they said to me (not the GP) that my blood test came back negative (except for some liver problem which is not urgent) and the stool sample also came back negative.
I stopped with Omeprazole exactly two weeks before taking the sample, only took Gaviscon a few days before the stool sample. Does that mean I really dont have this bacterium, or could the hospital have screwed up by testing it too late after just storing my sample for too long? I just saw at the hospital that they dumped it into some container somewhere, who knows when they actually tested... Or is two weeks the bare minimum, with good chance of a false negative?

I'm thinking of buying a blood test, as I never had stomach problems of this kind before, so if it comes up positive, that is very good proof right?

Otherwise, is it time for some other testing in your opinion? Even an endoscopy (my worst nightmare)?

I hope this is all over in the next few weeks, the bloatedness is constantly there and occasional small burps, and the stomach pain comes and goes every few days.

Going to discuss the results in a week with the GP

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Do I have Helicobacter?

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 pm

I believe the test result. They are quite accurate. Nevertheless, if you still feel the symptoms a month later, you can repeat the test.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing”