Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

H. Pylori Test Without Stopping PPI

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

THolt48

H. Pylori Test Without Stopping PPI

Post by THolt48 »

Hello Everyone,

Three months back. I started to develop gastritis like symptoms most notably these hunger pangs that would get worse if i did not eat something. i went to my doctor and he gave me 20mg prilosec to take. I came back a month later with improved symptoms but hunger pangs were still present. He gave a script for a h. pylori breath test but told me I didnt have to stop taking the PPI. The nurse said this as well. The nurse said that PPIs wouldn't affect h.pylori bacteria in the stomach. Anyway I went to get the test done and the result was negative. Not only this, but my doctor wanted to double my dosage of prilosec to 40mg for no reason.

Im going to another doctor to get a second opinion and hopefully get this sorted out if it is h.pylori. I am pretty sure it is h.pylori as I have never had symptoms like this in my life. I have never had much GI issues but I guess h.pylori can cause no symptoms. Am I too hasty for gettng a second opinon on this?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: H. Pylori Test Without Stopping PPI

Post by Helico_expert »

hmm.. not sure if your doctor and nurse understand how breath test work. anyway, the reason why H. pylori is able to survive in the stomach is because it has this enzyme, urease, that is able to break down Urea into CO2 and NH3. The NH3 will then neutralize the acid.

H. pylori is very smart. When there is no acid, there is no need to keep the urease active. So it turn off the channel to absorb urea. So no more CO2 and NH3 production.

When you take PPI, there is no acid, so CO2 and NH3 production is turned off. Then when you do breath test, you are asked to swallow an Urea pill that is labelled with either C13 or C14. If H. pylori's urease is active, the Urea will be broken down to release the C14-carbon dioxide. But if the urease is inactive, then urea will not be broken down.

Therefore, although PPI "will not" eradicate H. pylori, it turns off urease activity. which leads to false negative of breath test.

you need to wait a month without PPI and see another doctor who knows the principle of how breath test works.

THolt48

Post by THolt48 »

My appointment with my new doctor is in early July. Should I discontinue the Prilosec otc 20mg now? Will there be any adverse side effects from just stopping. That is my worst fear.

I also thought that the period was 14 days you had to be off PPI before you could get a breath test?

Thanks for your detailed response.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Here is the guideline of how long should stop PPI before breath test.
https://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

For prilosec, or omeprazole, it's 7 days. But, usually the longer you wait, the more accurate is the breath test result.

You can switch PPI to ranitidine. It's a H2 blocker, or weaker acid blocker, in comparison to omeprazole. You can continue ranitidine until the night before breath test.

THolt48

Post by THolt48 »

Ok thank you for your response.

Can I immediately switch from Prilosec to ranitidine or do I have to wait?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

you can gradually stop PPI. for example if you are taking it twice a day, you can switch to once a day. or if you are taking once a day, you can try alternate day.

meanwhile, you can take Ranitidine in the same time to control your symptoms during the switch.

Ranitidine is a fast acting drug, but it wont stay in the body for long.

prilosec is a slow acting drug, but will stay in the body longer.

THolt48

Post by THolt48 »

Thanks for the advice.

Which Ranitidine works best?

Also I am a runner. In the past few months I have gotten bad stomach cramps during and after runs. They go away after I stop. I was able to run a 22:12 5k with these cramps but I could have gone faste without these cramps. Could these be related to h.pylori? They started the same time I had the other gastritis symptoms?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I am not sure if H. pylori is related to the cramping. But in regards to H2 blocker, I think it's subjective. You can try ask the pharmacist to recommend some.

THolt48

Post by THolt48 »

So I went to my new doctor and he totally understood my concerns. They told me to stop taking any PPI and come back in two weeks for a breath test.

It’s relieving to say the least

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

looking forward to seeing your breath test result

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”