Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

possible to get a false negative?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

missmich
Genuine user

possible to get a false negative?

Post by missmich » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:15 am

I've had upper stomach pain for about a year and a half, it just keeps getting worse. I notice it is worse when my stomach is empty. I had an endoscopy done and they found inflammation but they did not test for H. pylori. His diagnosis was acid, took prilosec twice a day, helped the reflux but only made the pain worse. I specifically asked for H.pylori test, so he ordered stool. It came back negative. I know it sounds silly but I'm devastated. I so just want an answer. So, is it possible the test could be false because I've been on the prilosec for so long? I just dont know where to go from here.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: possible to get a false negative?

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:48 am

prilosec may cause false negative result in stool test. You'll have to stop prilosec for at least 2-3 weeks before the stool antigen test.

alternatively, you can substitute prilosec with some weaker H2 blocker, such as ranitidine. you can continue taking ranitidine until the day before stool or breath test.

missmich
Genuine user

Post by missmich » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Thank you.
I can not believe the doctor did not tell me that. Its also ridiculous that I had to beg to get the test done in the first place.

shid0x
Genuine user

Post by shid0x » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:47 pm

missmich wrote:Thank you.
I can not believe the doctor did not tell me that. Its also ridiculous that I had to beg to get the test done in the first place.
Change doctor this instant.
Testing for H.pilory is the most common thing ever when doing an endoscopy ESPECIALLY if there was acid damage.
Also if he didn't tell you about the 3 weeks delay for testing its pretty much a grave mistake.

Its truly a medical fault, if possible get the fuck away from there.

oaiyami98
Genuine user

Post by oaiyami98 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for info.
พนันบอล

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing”