Which medications interfere with C13 breath test results

Breath tests are the most accurate way of detecting H.pylori without actually having an endoscopy (stomach examination). Breath tests are especially useful after treatment to make sure H.pylori is cured. Urea breath tests are known to be completely harmless. Either C14-urea or C13-urea tests are used. Read about them at the diagnosis section at http://www.helico.com/diag_breath.html where a diagram can be found. C14-urea breath tests use a radioactive tracer but such a tiny amount that it can be used safely at any age. It is a 15 minute test, convenient and inexpensive. The C13-urea test uses a stable isotope of carbon which is also harmless but requires two breath samples and takes about 30 minutes. Both tests have accuracy greater than 90%.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

sivetac
Genuine user

Which medications interfere with C13 breath test results

Post by sivetac » Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 am

For a few years I have been steadly eliminating problem foods which I appear to be sensitive to (amines, salicylates, gluten, fructose, lactose).
During that time I have also taken NSAID’s, Zyrtec (antihistamines) and various other pain inflammation conncotions.
My food sensitivities have become much worse and now have constant belching, bloating, constipation, migraines, pain in the small intestine area and stomach. These symptoms occur even without ingesting food.
We (doc and naturopath) suspected SIBO, so I went a 10 day course of the antibiotic Rifaxamin. This has not helped at all. In fact, my symptoms are worse. Doc is now sending me for C13 breath test for HP.
I have read that NSAID’s and antihistamines can be responsible for low stomach acid. I have begun taking Apple Cider Vinegar each day to increase stomach acid (rather than HCI as I believe if my gut lining is damaged HCI may cause more problems).
I am also taking:
  • 5-HTP
    Thyroxine (for Hashimotos Thyroiditis)
    Vit C, B12, Folinic Acid, calcium, magnesium, calcium d-glucarate
Will any of these or the Apple C. V or the Rifaxamin antibiotic (taken 4 weeks ago) or panadaol, mersendol (migraine med) or antihistamines or NSAID's, lead to inaccurate test results?

Thank you.

Return to “Breath Tests (C14 and C13)”