Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

2 members of same family with h-pylori

After many years of H.pylori infection a cancer can develop in the stomach. This is particularly common in Latin America and Asia (esp. Japan). It is believed that lifelong inflammation of the stomach lining causes low acidity which then allows carcinogens to be active in the stomach. These then cause stem cells (part of the healing process) to mutate and become cancer cells.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

lynxgal
Genuine user

2 members of same family with h-pylori

Post by lynxgal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 am

I was diagnosed with H-pylori about 11 years ago when it was discovered I had an ulcer. At the time I was treated with the antibiotics. 2 years later my father was told he had H-pylori and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. My grandfather died a few years ago and at that time they were pretty certain he had stomach cancer however he declined the testing so it was only speculation.

I am now experiencing almost the same symptoms I had 11 years ago. What are the chances that the h-pylori has become active again after 11 years? Should I be asking for my doctor to look at my stomach due to the family history of h-pylori and stomach cancer.

mrsh1968
Genuine user

Re: 2 members of same family with h-pylori

Post by mrsh1968 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 pm

I think if you have the same symptoms then it would be wise to get re-tested and if necessary treated.

Rex
Genuine user

Re: 2 members of same family with h-pylori

Post by Rex » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 am

this is a very dangerous disease, pylori is detected in patients with a peptic ulcer, the normal procedure is to eradicate it and allow the ulcer to heal. The standard first-line therapy is a one week "triple therapy" consisting of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and the antibiotics clarithromycin and amoxicillin.

Return to “Stomach cancer and lymphoma”