Complete recovery?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Complete recovery?

Post by ihatehelico » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 pm

I know that some people take a long, long time to recover from gastritis (I'm one of them, sadly.), but do people usually make a full recovery? By full recovery I mean symptom-wise. I understand that gastritis can remain medically in some form for a long time, but I mean in terms of the experience of the patient.

I guess I really want to know from the experts/moderators of this forum (or people who have healed!)...is everyone eventually able to go back to their old lives? Can they drink alcohol, drink coffee, eat spicy food and all the other things us poor suckers can't do? Are there some people who have to spend the rest of their lives eating the right foods and who can never get drunk and have a wild time again?

I want to know if there's a chance I have a life-long condition. Presumably not, and that is why there is virtually nobody on forums saying they got better, the posts just stop. One can only deduce......they all get better and leave the forums for good! There are a few loons who say they have had gastritis for years but they are probably best ignored as they are always vague and also, HP negative!

Please let people like me know if these five months of hell are going to turn into five years. Or even forever....

We want to know if we have a horrible condition that will need to be managed for the rest of our lives. Dr Marshall kind of answered these questions on previous posts but it was many years ago and consisted of scientific language that was hard to understand. Do any gastroenterologists still post on this forum?

Thanks.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Complete recovery?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:22 am

People does get better. but you have to know, most people who gets better dont come back to this forum.

Please have a look at the following post

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=203357&p=215227#p215227

and there are more similar stories in the forum

alecvolk
Genuine user

Post by alecvolk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 am

Yes. I was treated for H. Pylori in March 2016. You can even look through some of my posts on this forum then. I was graduating that year from school and it was impacting my life.

Most of my symptoms began subsiding by 2017. I progressively got better. I still have some gas and bloating once in a while but that's normal.

IT DOES GET BETTER. I'm married and have a very stable job in NYC. One piece of advise that I can offer is to distract yourself and not think too much about it.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

alecvolk
Genuine user

Post by alecvolk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:14 am

Helico_expert is correct. The selection of people on this forum is skewed in favor of people who are experiencing symptoms. Unfortunately, they don't report back once their symptoms have subsided.

alecvolk
Genuine user

Post by alecvolk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:46 am

Oh, and in my case, I felt that fish oil, Hyperbiotics PRO-15 and Magnesium helped me feel better. You may want to try this. But make no mistake, it will take time for your stomach to heal.

And yes, I eat normal food now that I used to eat. I still don't drink coffee as much as I used to but it doesn't cause any symptoms when I do.

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am

Thanks so much for your response. It's kind of you to come back on here to comment now that you are better.

I can deal with waiting as long as I know it will go away eventually!

Many thanks.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 am

If you are sure that H. pylori is gone. then the only outcome will be better. it is just a matter of time.

distracting yourself with work or hobby is a very good idea. the more you think about it, the worse it becomes.

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:51 pm

alecvolk wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 am
Yes. I was treated for H. Pylori in March 2016. You can even look through some of my posts on this forum then. I was graduating that year from school and it was impacting my life.

Most of my symptoms began subsiding by 2017. I progressively got better. I still have some gas and bloating once in a while but that's normal.

IT DOES GET BETTER. I'm married and have a very stable job in NYC. One piece of advise that I can offer is to distract yourself and not think too much about it.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.
Can I ask you, was nausea a major symptom for you? It's really been my only symptom throughout this. I have had some bloating and pain very occasionally but mainly just nausea and burping. The nausea seems to go away and I think I'm getting better but then BAM, comes back for days and days. I also get weird symptoms and feel quite weak like I'm coming down with the flu all the time. To be honest, I'm not convinced these symptoms are all gastritis related. Every time the nausea subsides I think I'm getting better but then it comes back with a vengeance. Sometimes it seems to get better when I eat, sometimes it seems to get worse, sometimes it makes no difference. I also seem to suffer less at night and in the evenings. Morning and daytime is the worst for me. I know anxiety makes things worse but these symptoms are very real.

Thanks again.

:cry:

alecvolk
Genuine user

Post by alecvolk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 am

Trust me, they appear to me all Helico related. You should get them checked out nonetheless. I had weird and varying symptoms throughout. Fatigue was also very common. I was sin a bad mental state and that didn’t help. This will taper off as you improve.

Nausea is a common symptom but fortunately I didn’t have it much. Yes, I used to have a lot of burps. That’s common. Let me tell you right now, you need to be patient and let time take it’s course. There will be many moments where you feel your symptoms are getting worse or if H. pylori is back. I had many setbacks before my symptoms actually started to subside.

Give it a good year.

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks again for your reply.

I have had a few tests and I have some more in the future just to make sure, but I think the HP aftermath is my sole problem to be honest.

I will be patient and hopefully, over the next few months mine too will subside.

Fingers crossed...

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”