H.Pylori Aftermath

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

mtobler
Genuine user

H.Pylori Aftermath

Post by mtobler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:27 am

It has been roughly 5 years now since my successful H. Pylori eradication therapy and I thought I would give a quick update on where I am today healthwise.

Last month I underwent a Fecal matter transplant treatment which has finally resolved my longstanding IBS issues since H.Pylori colonization. The Acid reflux however remains unchanged and I still get mouth ulcers regularly from acid regurgitation which is amplified when I eat foods with high fat content such as olive oil, all dairy products, fish etc. So I generally avoid these foods. Having said that, right now i'm looking into the Stretta therapy to resolve my acid reflux.
Foodwise I'm still very limited to what I can eat and I still get massive headaches and fatigue after eating, it doesn't seem matter how careful I am, all foods seem to cause the same adverse reaction. I've also developed a fructose malabsorption from the H.Pylori and have to be extremely careful with what I eat in general. The foods cant contain too much fat and also they shouldn't contain too much fructose as well, additionally high carb foods also make me feel very tired and headachy which makes this all the more debilitating.

Never in a million years did I think H.Pylori could permanently alter the way food is metabolized, it's as though it has reprogrammed insulin and glucose releasing. At this point I'm curious if there are any others out there that have had a similar aftermath experience ? ?

Also I'm wondering if there might be multiple different H.Pylori strains some of which might be more problematic than others ?

natiruiz
Genuine user

Re: H.Pylori Aftermath

Post by natiruiz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 am

Thanks for the information abou H Pylori it is very useful for me.

daibatzu
Genuine user

Post by daibatzu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello mtobbler, I had a mouth ulcer while on the ppi pariet (a brand of rabeprazole). Havent had another one since I stopped using it. Are you still on ppis? They could be causing malabsorption issues for you rather than the effects of h pylori itself. Try to use digestive enzymes (I use the brand plant enzymes from Now Foods)

mtobler
Genuine user

Post by mtobler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi daibatzu,

Every physician I went to see about my Reflux suggested PPls as a long-term treatment option, but I declined each time because I was aware of long-term studies that indicated that taking Acid-Suppressing medication over the long-haul can cause serious health implications such as Osteoporosis and even Cancer. The only time I ever used PPls was for the H.Pylori eradication therapy. Obviously not everyone will have the exact same post -H.Pylori health complications. My case was a very stubborn one in that I reinfected myself several times without being aware that it was happening at my workplace. Also my roommate got infected by me who in turn reinfected me after the antibiotic treatment. It took something like 6 rounds of Antibiotic treatments to cure myself from this bacterial infection ! To put in in better perspective, that's 6 x HP-Pac all over again, or 3 consecutive months of hardcore Antibiotic treatments with PPls ! There is also a strong possibility that the Antibiotics caused permanent and irreversible changes in my gut. However, I do recall the onset of Acid-Reflux and Hypoglycemia whilst being infected with the H.Pylori, in other words before taking the Antibiotics.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 am

My case was a very stubborn one in that I reinfected myself several times without being aware that it was happening at my workplace. Also my roommate got infected by me who in turn reinfected me after the antibiotic treatment. It took something like 6 rounds of Antibiotic treatments to cure myself from this bacterial infection ! To put in in better perspective, that's 6 x HP-Pac all over again, or 3 consecutive months of hardcore Antibiotic treatments with PPls ! There is also a strong possibility that the Antibiotics caused permanent and irreversible changes in my gut. However, I do recall the onset of Acid-Reflux and Hypoglycemia whilst being infected with the H.Pylori, in other words before taking the Antibiotics.
Just want to comment that it is actually very hard for adult to get reinfected. Unless you and your mates/partner have very bad hygiene.

Most of the time it is because of treatment failure. Your H. pylori is obviously already resistant to the antibiotics. So, if you keep taking the same drug, it wont work. The antibiotics may reduce the bacteria load to a very low number, and you felt better, but once you finish the treatment, the survival will gradually build up the number. Therefore, it is important that you ask your doctor for a follow up breath test to check if the treatment is successful.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”