Misdiagnosed with h.pylori ?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

ivy365
Genuine user

Misdiagnosed with h.pylori ?

Post by ivy365 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:10 am

I was first diagnosed with H.Pylori 3 weeks ago at an urgent care, after months of being sick. I tested positive with a blood sample from a finger prick. I had all the symptoms for months. Nausea, blood in stool, bloating, no appetite, stomach burns and cramps, headaches, etc..I was on triple therapy plan. Went to my primary doctor in between treatments and he wanted to do some more blood work to test again. After finishing my treatment he said I tested negative for h pylori when they did the blood test and said if I had the bacteria it would always show in my system. And said maybe I had gastritis. I’m still confused because I had all the symptoms and took the medicine. 5 days after treatment I’m still feeling nauseous and can’t eat much solid food. I may have to get an endoscopy to figure out what’s wrong. Has this happened to anybody else?! I'm so worried and just want to feel better. :(

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Misdiagnosed with h.pylori ?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

first of all, i am surprised that the doctor gave you a skin prick test to check if the treatment work.
second of all, i am more surprised that the test result is negative.

because once infected with H. pylori, your blood will always carry antibodies of H. pylori for weeks, months, or even years. Perhaps you repeat the skin prick test after a while.

i would suggest you to go to other doctor and get a breath test. it is the recommended test after antibiotic treatment.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”