Salvage Therapy, Endoscopy and Culturing H Pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Utodc
Genuine user

Salvage Therapy, Endoscopy and Culturing H Pylori

Post by Utodc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I have been through standard Triple, quad that i only made 8 days and wound up in ER and then 14 day quad. My gastro has endo scheduled with biopsy to test for sensitivity of h pylori to abx.

If the resistance lies primarily with CLAR and METRO and I've used these before, what are we hoping to learn from the biopsy and testing?

Also the salvage therapies use cipro which im reading is basically poison. Although id say the same about meds on quad therapy.

Please advise.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Salvage Therapy, Endoscopy and Culturing H Pylori

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 pm

the resistance profile differ from country to country.. perhaps every HP has different resistant profile.

the biopsy and testing will tell you exactly what antibiotics the strain is resistant to and reduce the need to try out other antibiotics blindly.

in the past, where triple therapy has 80% cure rate, there is no need for antibiotic testing. However, since triple therapy failed in more than 50% of the time, there is no guideline on what quadruple therapy to use. Hence, every doctor just prescribe whatever they want. Which leads to an unknown resistant profile.

almost all antibiotics are poisonous to us. that's why we experienced side effect when taking antibiotics. you may not know, metronidazole is actually a carcinogen but it is still prescribed widely. cipro is a good antibiotic and we like to reserve it for the last resort. so, if we do not control the use of cipro, many guts bacteria will eventually become resistant to cipro and all the related antibiotics, eg. levofloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, etc

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”