Ongoing gastritis hell. Please help!!!

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Ongoing gastritis hell. Please help!!!

Post by ihatehelico » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi!

I've just joined, please forgive me for the long post..

In June of 2017 I had a testicular cancer scare (all clear) and during this time I started to feel nauseous on and off. I was living in China (I'm British) at the time and I found that by eating just boiled eggs and plain rice for a few days it would go away. I mentioned it to a Western doctor and he said "probably a virus". So, fast forward a month and the nausea is constant but now accompanied by occasional night time acid reflux and some upper abdominal discomfort. I put it down to anxiety or something (as I was moving back to the UK soon) and tried to continue but the nausea would not leave me. I saw another Western doctor who gave me omeprazole and told me to see a doctor upon my return to the UK. Then the nausea got so bad it affected mine and my girlfriend's lives to the point I got a translator and went to a Chinese hospital in Guangzhou. I was terrified I had stomach cancer! The doctor there scheduled me for an immediate upper endoscopy which was performed the next day with biopsy. After the endoscopy the doc said 'gastritis' but that's all. I had read about HP so asked about that and he said something like 'it's unlikely to be that as you're from Europe' but sent me off to have a breath test anyway. This tested positive - even after a month of PPI use! I was told it wasn't necessary to wait for the biopsy result and was given ornidazole, clarithromycin and pantaprazole for 14 days. At first I felt better but near the end of the course of meds the nausea returned.

So, I arrived back in the UK to a world of free but slow healthcare. I waited until a month had passed with no antibiotics or PPIs and went for a follow-up breath test. This time I tested negative. The doc put me on 40mg of omeprazole a day and told me it would settle. In order to stop myself from feeling sick, by this point my diet consisted of boiled eggs, brown toast, brown pasta, rice, chicken breast, banana, apple and water. Not much else. Tried other things but they always lead to more nausea. I have lost 15kg in this time.

So, I went back to the doc. This time 80mg omeprazole a day for a month but then I started to feel much worse so the doc said maybe it's the PPI and prescribed 150mg of ranitidine twice a day and said that maybe I would need another breath test.

At this point, my life has become utterly miserable. For nearly 4 months I have been able to eat nothing but the plainest of diets and can only drink water and the odd cup of camomile tea which I hate but makes a change from water. I feel almost constantly sick for days then have a few days relief and then feel sick again. Diet doesn't seem to help as much these days. I have no social life as I can't eat or drink properly and I've had to give up all the things I liked in my life. Needless to say, my girlfriend is nearly as stressed as I am. I have paid for an abdominal ultrasound for peace of mind and all is fine.

My NHS GP has referred me to see a private gastroenterologist as I don't want to wait and IF the gastro doc sees fit he can refer me back to the NHS for an endoscopy but I will have to wait months as I cannot afford the £2000 to have one privately. But they seem to hate doing them here as they are expensive. One doc said "maybe in 8 months if there's no improvement".

I did another breath test today just in case and will know the result in two days.

Will this ever go away? Is my gastritis definitely caused by HP or is there a chance it's a coincidence and I have something horrible going on that will stay with me forever? I can't lose much more weight, there will be nothing left of me! Should I have waited for the biopsy result to see the details of the gastritis etc?

It's also worth mentioning I don't really have any other symptoms now just horrible, horrible nausea.

HELP!!!!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Ongoing gastritis hell. Please help!!!

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:59 am

thanks for sharing your story. I am betting a negative result on your latest UBT.

I think your doctor is right on PPI and ranitidine. However, perhaps you can discuss with your doctor about trying domperidone or anything similar. That should ease your nausea symptoms.

anyway, your previous endoscopy in China is good. No abnormality. gastritis will go away once HP is eradicated. Let's wait for 2 days and see what is the UBT result.

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks so much for replying!

I already have some domperidone from the GP. It seems to work 75% of the time. I will keep taking it as and when but it doesn't feel right masking nausea with drugs.

I will wait and see what the next breath test reveals and go from there.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 am

please keep us posted.
:)

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:29 pm

So, I got the result of my latest UBT - negative.

I'm happy that the bacteria is dead but I'd be lying if I said there isn't a part of me that was hoping it was still there, and that all I needed for a speedy recovery was another course of different antibiotics. But I guess not, I'm stuck with this gastritis for the time being.

Are people usually able to go back to their old lives eventually? There's so many horror stories on forums with people who have had gastritis for months and months or even years, although admittedly, these people generally seem to say they were HP negative from the outset. Nearly four months into this, I can't quite believe I used to have tea, coffee, beer, wine, dairy, burgers, sauces, fried stuff, Chinese and Indian food and pretty much everything else that makes life worth living! Will I ever be able to have these things again? The thought of never having fun in a bar or a restaurant again makes me want to cry.

I've made an appointment with a gastroenterologist in the hope that he will be able to give me an endoscopy down the line and give me some answers about what is going on in my stomach.

Please tell me this usually (or even better ALWAYS) goes away and that I will be me again some time in the not too distant future...

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 pm

By the way, I finished my antibiotics on the 3rd August so it's been over 2.5 months since the bacteria was wiped out!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Most people will feel a lot better after treatment. However, a small group of people takes long time to recover. Indeed, some members in this forum took months and years to go back to normal. I think your situation is not too bad. At least you know that HP is eradicated. Some unfortunate patients still stuck at the stage on eradicating resistant HP. Now you just need to focus on the recovery. I think this is where the forum can be useful. try read through some members posts. I think adjusting diet may help. I personally like mint tea. It helps calm down my digestive system.

ihatehelico
Genuine user

Post by ihatehelico » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok, thanks so much.

I guess I'm already one of those people that takes months...I just hope I'm not one of the people who takes years!

I have read a lot of posts on this site so take some solace from you and others saying it should go away completely eventually. I changed my diet at the beginning and only eat non-processed, easily digestible foods and for the most part this does seem to keep the nausea at bay, although sometimes it seems to flare up for no reason. There is still a part of me that thinks I might have something else going on but I try to push that out of my head and stay positive but it's incredibly hard. Hopefully it's simple - the HP caused my gastritis and the gastritis will eventually heal.

I will keep updating this post so others know they are not alone! It would be nice if there were more posts by people who have completely recovered but presumably once the hell is over, they want to move on and forget about it! :lol:

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 am

Yes, please continue to tell us what you have tried and update us your stories. I am sure someone somewhere will find your story helpful.

helpoz
Genuine user

Post by helpoz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 am

Hello Everyone,Thank you for letting me part of this forum.

I have a similar Gastritis Helico scare going on from last 4 to 5 weeks. My GP prescribed me Nexium HP 7 which is Amoxycillin clathromycin and esomeprazole (First line treatment here in Australia)and its been 5 days after finishing the antibiotic course and I still not 100 percent. I felt better during the course of treatment but after 5 days of treatment I am not sure how it has gone. I had a burning sensation in my stomach when I consulted my GP first and that burning feeling is not there any more after the treatment most of the times but after eating food or at certain times of the day I have scares that feeling has come back. overall my tummy feels very comfy at times and bit noisy and little burning at other, Not sure whats going on. I still have to wait for 5 weeks for my next UBT and this wait is excruciatingly painful and I think I will go nuts :( before the next test. My GP finished the consultation by saying that she has patients where nothing has worked. I am horrified if my UBT comes positive...The worst part is these 5 weeks I have to wait for my next UBT. I definitely need support to survive through this health crisis and hope I come all good after my next UBT. Thank you.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”