Low iron stores (Ferritin deficiency) without anemia, along with H Pylori infection

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

mjatoz
Genuine user

Low iron stores (Ferritin deficiency) without anemia, along with H Pylori infection

Post by mjatoz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Has anybody experienced low iron stores i.e. Ferritin deficiency, without anemia (i.e. normal Hemoglobin levels) along with H-Pylori infection? Is it normal to have low iron stores i.e. Ferritin deficiency along with H-Pylori infection? If so, how long does it take to get your Ferritin levels back up after H-Pylori eradication, and should one be taking any supplements for this? Any thoughts, personal experiences, insights are much appreciated. Thanks.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Low iron stores (Ferritin deficiency) without anemia, along with H Pylori infection

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 pm

its common to have Low B12 and Low Iron during H. pylori infection. Many has reported that their b12 and iron level come back to normal after eradication of H. pylori.

we normally get the patients to come back after one month of eradication to follow up. and at that time, usually iron level is already back to normal, or at least sign of recovering.

mjatoz
Genuine user

Re: Low iron stores (Ferritin deficiency) without anemia, along with H Pylori infection

Post by mjatoz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you @ Helico_expert

mjatoz
Genuine user

Post by mjatoz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi @ Helico_expert, a quick clarification - when you say "low iron" did you mean low Hemoglobin (Hgb) levels or are you talking about low Ferritin levels? Have you seen cases where it is low Ferritin but normal Hemoglobin levels? Thanks.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 am

iron is essential for hemogloblin formation. low iron level usually lead to low hemogloblin. have you got normal hemogloblin level where your iron level is lower than average?

mjatoz
Genuine user

Post by mjatoz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Yes, my Ferritin is low but normal Hemoglobin.
I also underwent a colonoscopy and it was okay.
Is this common in H Pylori patients?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:34 pm

then i guess you are not as bad as you think you are. Once HP is eradicated, we have seen patients with Ferritin back to normal. Hopefully it will be your case too.

mjatoz
Genuine user

Post by mjatoz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks @ Helico_expert.

Also I stopped PPI about 3 weeks back, and now experience chest discomfort/pain regularly after eating. Is this acid reflux? I never had this problem before, so can this happen after H Pylori eradication i.e. someone who never had acid reflux before, getting it after H-Pylori eradication? Is that normal?

I am currently taking H2 blockers for relief from these symptoms.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

you are probably experiencing heart burn. taking H2 blocker is the right move. A small group of people does develop heart burn or reflux after HP eradication. Nobody knows why. Nevertheless, have you done a follow up breath test to check if HP is really eradicated?

mjatoz
Genuine user

Post by mjatoz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I had an endoscopy done in August that showed H Pylori negative. Should i still get a stool or breath test done to make sure it is eradicated?

Also I still feel loss of appetite and not any hunger pangs. I eat more by the clock, but am able to eat a full meal once i start eating. Also have brain numbness/fog.......like a zombie brain all the time. Sometimes nausea. Is it possible to have these symptoms with/post H Pylori infection. My GI says I have IBS-C, and that is causing these symptoms. I never had IBS-C before, so at a loss to understand all this/these symptoms. In your experience
@ Helico_expert have you come across something like this? Anybody else? Thanks.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”