N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) - Helpful or not?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

nkaufman
Genuine user

N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) - Helpful or not?

Post by nkaufman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 pm

A naturopath - Dr. Kathleen Jade, N.D. - mentions:

"N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) is a natural antioxidant and mucous-dissolving nutrient that destroys the biofilm of H. pylori. H. pylori’s biofilm is what helps it to survive in the stomach and resist antibiotic treatment. Like probiotics, NAC supplementation has been shown to help treat H. pylori infection and overcome antibiotic resistance.[6] A typical recommended dose is 600 mg three times daily between meals."

In one of the posts, helico_expert mentioned:
"H. pylori is hiding below the thick mucous layer that protects the stomach lining from the gastric juice. "

So, it does seem that NAC can help. Was wondering if there is any empirical evidence about this.

If natural treatments don't work, then I wonder how these naturopaths keep claiming to follow their regimen to eradicate h.plori.

Thanks,

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) - Helpful or not?

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:44 am

to be honest, i am not familiar with this NAC drug.

I tried read a few articles, majority agrees that it helps with the antibiotic treatment. However, they are all based on very small sample size.

My opinion is that although H. pylori can form biofilm, but it is not because of the biofilm that causes the antibiotics to fail. So I am skeptical on the stats and claims of this drug.

Nevertheless, if it's an approved natural product, safe and risk free, there is no reason not to try it. There are articles already showed that it has no effect on H. pylori by itself. It "potentially" increase the antibiotic treatment success rate by taking NAC together with antibiotics.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”