Are these test results weird?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

nkaufman
Genuine user

Are these test results weird?

Post by nkaufman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 am

Hello,

Am glad I found this site while looking for alternative methods of eradicating h.pylori while looking at how best to make sure that I have h.pylori. Don't think I have any major symptom but other lesser known symptoms could be due to anything.

My blood test was positive for IgG and IgA and negative for IgM.

Stool test (HpSA) was negative for H.Pylori

Urea Breath test is positive.

One doctor wants to treat with antibiotics.

Another says that "You have hpylori in the upper GI but not so infected that any shows up later in intestine"
Does not want to treat with antibiotics since it seems that "you are just a carrier of h pylori and not causing you disease and thus may not need to eradicate it"

This is absolutely confusing.

Have people experienced different results for stool and urea breath tests?

Blood test, it seems, just proves that either one had or still has H.pylori infection and hence is not a good marker.

Thanks for your assistance.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Are these test results weird?

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 am

urea breath test is testing the H. pylori enzyme in the stomach. If you have it, then UBT will show positive.

Stool test is testing the antigen or the proteins of H. pylori from the stomach that pass down through the lower guts. It should be as sensitive as UBT. Then again, all these test are depending on the technician who is performing the test.

Blood test tells you the history of infection. once infected with H. pylori, your blood will have antibody of H. pylori for months, or years.

Since your UBT is positive, i would say you are infected with H. pylori. Should you get treatment? the simple answer is yes.

nkaufman
Genuine user

Natural Treatment

Post by nkaufman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 am

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

So based on what I'm reading on these forums, natural treatments do not seem to work.

However, in my situation, where infection might not be that widespread since nothing is passed down to the stool, would it be worthwhile to consider natural treatment as an initial step?

Stool test was done at Genova in which they tested for other pathogens as well. Maybe get another set of stool test just to confirm perhaps?

Also, Quest Diagnostics UBT only shows 'Detected' or 'Not Detected'. No numbers etc. Is there some special code to get numbers of H.Pylori?

Also, was reading on h.pylori and how it helps in controlling inflammation. Am still going through the older posts and do not know if this has been discussed here.

Thanks,

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

it is believed that H. pylori may be beneficial to children when their immune system is still learning what's good and bad. But there is very little evidence for H. pylori showing benefits to adults, where immune system is already matured.

There is a measurement for UBT reading. The higher the reading, the more H. pylori there is. However, we have seen people with borderline reading and yet developed ulcer. We have also seen people with extremely high reading and yet asymptomatic. So the reading is irrelevant. all you need to know is if you have H. pylori.

If you have no family of gastric cancer, believe that you eat healthily, no smoking, no alcohol, no terrible reflux symptom, done endoscopy examination and found no ulcer or other abnormality, then you can experiment by taking some natural product to control your mild symptoms.

nkaufman
Genuine user

Post by nkaufman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Based on the fact that UBT/Blood Test were positive but stool test was negative (as I mentioned in the OP), I looked at other symptoms of H.Pylori and found the following:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... c-20318746

An ache or burning pain in your abdomen - DON'T HAVE
Abdominal pain that's worse when your stomach is empty - DON'T HAVE
Nausea - DON'T HAVE
Loss of appetite - DON'T HAVE
Frequent burping - DON'T HAVE
Bloating - Do have
Unintentional weight loss - DON'T HAVE

The other things that I have and am trying to find out if H.Pylori can cause are:
Hypothyroidism
High LDL-P
Occassional skin rashes that come and go away.

That would enable me to see if going ahead with treatment makes sense or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 am

UBT positive is good enough to go ahead for a treatment.

nkaufman
Genuine user

Post by nkaufman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 am

I've been hearing conflicting points of views on this matter.

Some people say - Treat only if there are symptoms. If there are no symptoms then there is no need to treat it.

From - https://chriskresser.com/answers-to-you ... digestion/
"H. pylori, however, when it becomes overgrown, that’s when it is an issue. So, for a lot of people who carry H. pylori it’s probably not an issue if they have a good balance of gut flora and a healthy gut environment, but when it becomes overgrown, just like when anything becomes overgrown in an ecosystem, that’s when all hell breaks loose."

Other functional medicine practitioners and my own lipidologist have the same opinion.

Hence, I was more inclined to not have the treatment unless my other conditions are due to h.pylori in which case I have symptoms and then I need to treat it.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 am

the conflicting info is mainly because the treatment involve not one antibiotic, but two or more antibiotics.

Antibiotic resistant is the hottest topic at the moment.

the antibiotic cocktail may give you some side effect. you may not complete the treatment which then lead to antibiotic resistant not only to H. pylori, but also other guts bacteria.

the antibiotics may also upset the balance of your guts bacteria and then you develop IBS or IBD. So if you are originally asymptomatic, but developed IBS/IBD after treatment, you'll probably blame the doctor for putting you in a worse situation.

So, in conclusion, you should get treatment if
1. you have family history of gastric cancer
2. you have symptoms like reflux, heart burn, any digestion problem, bloating, poor appetite, etc
3. you were diagnosed with stomach ulcers
4. your partner has all of above and you dont want to pass your H. pylori to him/her.
5. you want to avoid all of above in the future and willing to take the very very small risk of developing IBS/IBD.

nkaufman
Genuine user

Post by nkaufman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 am

My responses are as follows:

So, in conclusion, you should get treatment if
1. you have family history of gastric cancer
- NO

2. you have symptoms like reflux, heart burn, any digestion problem, bloating, poor appetite, etc
- Occasional bloating (once in few weeks) but that could be due to a number of factors including following a vegetarian diet BUT nothing that impacts my daily life, No indigestion issues/reflux/heartburn/poor appetite etc.

3. you were diagnosed with stomach ulcers
- NO

4. your partner has all of above and you dont want to pass your H. pylori to him/her.
- NO

5. you want to avoid all of above in the future and willing to take the very very small risk of developing IBS/IBD.
- This is the key, isn't it?

Was really hoping that people would have had some measure-able success with Natural Treatments as I have can afford to go that route even if takes a longer time simply because of a lack of symptoms. But that does not seem to be the case.

Also, am trying to find out if there is any connection between h.pylori and thyroid/skin rashes etc that would justify going the antibiotic route.

Thanks

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

unfortunately there is no success in natural treatment. H. pylori can only be killed by antibiotics.

there has been studies that suggest connection between H. pylori and skin rashes. however, the connection is weak. Nevertheless, antibiotics for H. pylori can sometimes kill off the real culprit that causes skin problem.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”