Just been diagnosed

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

aidanc1998
Genuine user

Just been diagnosed

Post by aidanc1998 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums. I got back from holiday to Mexico two weeks ago. Over the past year, I have had a sore stomach after eating and frequent abdominal pain even when not eating. On holiday, I felt my symptoms were a lot worse - I now realise this was probably because of having such a poor diet on holiday. When I got back, my symptoms were even worse and I had to go to the doctor, where we sent away for the test. After a couple days, I was fine. A week later, I woke up shaking through the night and had a fever, a headache and a sore throat and stomach. I was then sick 5 times (just vomiting mucus) and phoned the doctor, where I was then noticed my test had came back positive. I was unable to eat for almost 2 days until I finally managed something today. I have started the triple therapy course as of last night and it seems to be helping a little bit (but not much yet). I'm wondering -

(1) If there is anything else I can do in the meantime to ease my symptoms? I have been taking paracetemol and been having wholemeal toast with scrambled egg. I know the gluten in the toast may not be ideal but it's the only things i've been able to manage. I've also been having an aloe drink and an going to start on Probiotics tomorrow.

(2) How long will it take for my sore stomach to ease? I have read 3-4 days.

(3) Is there any other advice that anyone can offer?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks for reading!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Just been diagnosed

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 am

the headache and fever bit, probably not because of H. pylori. However, the antibiotic treatment you are taking for H. pylori, will take care of other pathogens as well.

1. What is the PPI dose you are taking? you may ask your doctor for doubling the standard PPI dose.

2. your stomach sore is depending on the exact problem. If you have ulcer, it'll take a month to heal.

3. try not to think too much of your stomach. positive thinking helps. some members suggested mint tea.

aidanc1998
Genuine user

Post by aidanc1998 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks for your help - my two brothers had hand, foot and mouth disease last week and my girlfriend has just came out in spots this morning so i'm thinking I may have that too. I don't have any spots though and my symptoms started late Wednesday night - I guess i'll find out!

I am taking 30mg twice per day. My stomach isn't as bad this morning, it's my throats that's more sore than anything else.

Thanks for your reply!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am

yea... hand foot and mouth is very contagious. Rarely on adult, but not impossible. Especially when the immune system is weakened.

Nevertheless, hand foot and mouth is virus. so antibiotics wont help.

All the best to your H. pylori.

keishkaylah
Genuine user

Post by keishkaylah » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed a week ago and today is my last day of my triple therapy. It has been such a challenging week...from constant stomach growling to anxiety... I would like to know how long it takes until the growling completely goes. It is a lot better than it was before the diagnosis but I can still feel my stomach is not a 100%. And my bowel movements are not back to normal yet.
Please help me understand...
Thx.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 am

Hi, the recovery is very subjective. Most people feel good almost immediately. but some unfortunate one will take weeks, months or even years to feel better.

Nevertheless, you should book yourself an appointment a month later for a follow up breath test to check if H. pylori is truly eradicated. Then only you can focus on the healing.

keishkaylah
Genuine user

Post by keishkaylah » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am

Thank you @ helico expert...will be back at the GI in a month ... For now i'll try to eat healthy and stay positive.(which is another thing altogether) :roll:

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”