Best way to take Antibiotics for H pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

photon
Genuine user

Best way to take Antibiotics for H pylori

Post by photon » Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm

I've been given ABX empirically for SIBO or any other bacteria in the small intestine since doctor thinks that may be the cause why I have enzyme defficiencies being h pylori free and not getting any better almost a year later (perhaps I still h pylori).

Anyways the treatment is awfully similar to h pylori: tetra,metro and PPI.

I was wondering if its fine to take them on the middle of the meal (eat the food for 30 min then have ABX) and eat more food, or on a full stomach or empty stomach, does it matter?

I read a few papers saying its better to take them on full stomach others claiming must be on empty. One claims x4 250mg tetra, others x3 whats the general consensus for ABX for h pylori or any other bacteria.

photon
Genuine user

Re: Best way to take Antibiotics for H pylori

Post by photon » Mon May 22, 2017 2:03 am

I know bismuth itself doesnt matter...but the excipients being antacids (aluminum for ex) would it make a diference?

pylera hedilac or whatever combination they have out there and used in studies don't seem to use excipients which contain aluminum! Did you guys do a study with tetra + anta acids taken at the same time?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue May 23, 2017 12:23 am

yea, we notice the confusion. Should we take the antibiotics before or at meal?? our observation is, it probably doesnt matter. Nevertheless, to make it simple for the patients, we just ask them to take together with meal.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Tue May 23, 2017 3:31 am

Hi helico thanks for replying ur so helpful. Does it matter if I take it in the middle of the meal? Sometimes the timing isnt just right and I have to take it at the beginning of a meal.

As long as it gets to the stomach everything is fine right?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

yea, we believe that the antibiotics have to be absorbed into the blood stream to be useful. So it doesnt matter when you take it. It's probably better with meal because the antibiotics work better at neutral condition. That's why you need strong PPI to reduce the acid.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

For quadruple therapy, do we have to take it every 6 hours?

is every 8 hours fine?

I really dont know how can it be taken every 6 hours? that means you don't sleep?

Are there success stories with every 6 or 12 hours? with double dosis?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 pm

8 hrs is fine. Just spread out the dose when you are awake. The idea is to maintain the antibiotic level in your blood. So H. pylori is constantly under attack.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”