Reisistant to HP7 - Breastfeeding and treatment

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

meganjane
Genuine user

Reisistant to HP7 - Breastfeeding and treatment

Post by meganjane » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 am

Hi

I a in the SW of Western Australia and have tested positive to Helicobacter 5 times in the last 10 years and taken the triple therapy a total of 4 times. In that time I have had 4 children. My youngest is 4 months old today and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I was diagnosed this week once again with this horrible bacteria with levels over 1700!! My GP has referred me to a GI Dr in Perth who I am waiting to hear from.

My main concerns are with treatment and breastfeeding, does anyone or has anyone had any experience in this? Ofcourse I don't want to expose my very young bub to antibiotics but at the same time I am not a very happy mumma when I have constant nausea.

What course of action is the GI likely to advise? and is waiting to cease breastfeeding the best option? (I have fed the previous 3 for 18 months each) or is that too risky on my own health given the fact this bug has been hanging around on and off for over a decade now?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Reisistant to HP7 - Breastfeeding and treatment

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:26 pm

hi, you will probably have to wait till you finish breast feeding your child. what symptoms are you experiencing at the moment?

meganjane
Genuine user

Post by meganjane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:28 am

My current symptoms are extreme nausea and lots of burping, occasional stomach pain just below ribs but definitely not as bad as the first time in 2006! I am more concerned with the fact that I have been treated so many times and that it is back again and the damage that is doing to my stomach, I just want it gone as the idea of developing ulcers (which I dont feel I have) or worse cancer petrifies me.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 am

You can take H2 blockers like ranitidine to help with your burping and acid issue. Talk to your doctor about taking PPI (stronger acid suppressant) and perhaps also domperidone to help with your nausea.

if you take either H2 blocker or PPI, your chance of getting ulcer will reduce substantially.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”