iGM vs iGA vs IGG

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

photon
Genuine user

iGM vs iGA vs IGG

Post by photon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello, I did a blood test last year in july tested positive for igM/igA (the results came together) and negative igG. I did a stool test after that and I was positive. I eradicated the bacteria after using levo, amox, bismuth, PPI, retested 8 weeks later for stool test and breath test and was negative. My treatment ended in August.

Now it's been almost 7 months later. I just tested for igM and igA and they are both high again (tested separately) I didn't test for igG, does it mean I have 100% current infection? Or can those tests be wrong because its only been 7 months?

What should I do next?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: iGM vs iGA vs IGG

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:05 am

this is the classical example of not using blood test to test for H. pylori infection.

once you are infected with H. pylori, your blood will always have memories of the infection. So you will always be tested positive for the next few years.

your breath and stool test is accurate enough. So, congratulation in getting rid of this nasty bacteria. Now you just need to focus on the healing.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 pm

i did the blood test on friday, you mean this is a false positive?

I did the treatment in august 2016 and breath stool test in september which was negative but now 7 months later the blood test is still positive?

How can IGM/IGA be so positive if they are for ccurent infection?

Edit: here are my results

here are my results:
igM/igA = 45 positive>25 28/06/16

igM/igA= 70 and 45 respectively positive 25> for igA positive>40 for igM 25/03/17

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 am

IgM is less likely to be positive. It is only useful when you have a very recent infection.

IgA, similar to IgG, has a shorter lifespan, but can still remain in the blood stream for weeks or months.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 289.x/full

Note: IgA is like IgG, but present in mucosa region. Such as Lungs, eyes, mouth, stomach, etc. IgG is normally found in the blood stream. IgA is not for detection of recent infection.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:45 am

ok so i have a recent infection my igM is about the same before I had the test last year, very positive and high.

Im going to the doctor anyways, it's lucky that whenever i take igM tests I always test positive last year and now, which isn't supposed to last long in the body from what I've read.

I wonder how I got reinfected I took care of myself fully.

Thanks for your help helico expert, i'd be lost without your help. I think I read a post on what antibiotic I can try next:

I did in 2014: - metro, tetra, bismuth and amox, clar as first line
2016: last year levo, amox
2017: I think I'll do amox + one of the two you mentioned before or maybe the same as 2014 will be better , ill see what my doctor says.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 am

i am skeptical on your blood test result. I think you should not rely on the blood test result to get an antibiotic treatment. You should get diagnose with breath or stool test before taking antibiotics.

reinfection of H. pylori is very rare. It only happens when you are very close to somebody. Usually is spread among people who live under the same roof. If you believe you are reinfected, then you should get everyone under the same roof to be tested.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 pm

bad news doctor didnt want to test and suggested to leave the bacteria in there, he himself has it and has no issues, lol.

Don't know what to do, wish I could find a doctor who specializes with bacteria. All GI doctors seem to think the same !

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 am

I think the doctors are out of idea how to treat it that's why they suggest patients to leave it. It's hard for the doctors when there is no access to laboratory that can provide bacteria culture.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:52 am

This doctor was plain bad to begin with anyways but he was the only who wanted to treat it last year so I couldnt refuse. I think my best bet is get out of this country and move to Australia or USA and get proper treatment.

I'll do a stool test to confirm that I have the bacteria, that is better to convince doctors that I have it or not than blood tests as you said everyone doubts blood test (even I'm starting to doubt it).

I can understand the igA and igG elevated but the igM being elevated and very positive is just something that puts my mind into confusion and worry.

photon
Genuine user

Post by photon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I found a good doctor, one that actually speaks english and reads several journal articles daily. Unfortunately, he can't see me directly as he operates in another part of my country. He agrees gastritis will never dissapear unless h pylori is eradicated and the stomach will never heal with it if it already has been damaged.

But he will refer me to one of his colleagues near my living area. I will re-test with breath stool,etc, but this is likely a reinfection.

These are the treatments I had already.

Metro, tetra.
Amox, clar.
Levo, Amox.

Assuming this is not a reinfection but the same infection from 2014. Is there one more antibiotic besides Amox to try before doing sensitivity testing which isn't available in my country?

I think there's one but not sure if it belongs to the same family of antibiotics mentioned above.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”