Both parents with h pylori - what about the kids?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

loretta
Genuine user

Both parents with h pylori - what about the kids?

Post by loretta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:48 am

My husband and I both tested positive for h pylori! We will start treatment with antibiotics the following days but we have two kids (5 and 7) which may have h pylori as well. Doctors tell us that small kids are not treated with antibiotics if they don't have any problems.
So i worry that we may be able to eliminate h pylori but we will get reinfected soon if our kids have the bacteria as well.
I would like them to get tested but i am not too keen on breath test on such small kids. Are home stool tests reliable so that we could check it and have an idea if they have the bacteria or not?
Any thoughts? Thank you!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Both parents with h pylori - what about the kids?

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am

it is not recommend to treat children if they dont have symptoms. The antibiotics may do more harm than good to children because they are still young, their immune system is still learning what's good and bad, their guts microbiome is still shaping up, and so on and on.

So, if you dont have plan to give antibiotics to your children, there is no need to test them. The constant thinking of them having the bacteria is going to add stress to child and yourself.

it is less likely for adults to catch H. pylori from the kids. Because adults are more aware of hygiene. Just make sure you dont share food with children, always wash your hands after toilets, and maintain your oral cavity's hygiene, the chance of catching or spreading H. pylori is almost impossible.

loretta
Genuine user

Post by loretta » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 am

Thank you for the advice. I think we'll skip the testing for now and try to be extra
careful although it's quite difficult not to share any food or drinks with small kids but not undoable :)
What exactly do you mean about oral hugiene? From what they told us h pylori is found in saliva,
so does it really make a difference how many times per day we brush our teeth or visit the dentist?
Thank you!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 am

as long as you brush your teeth in the morning when you wake up, that reduce the transmission chance by a lot. It's not easy for H. pylori to survive in the saliva for long. So sharing once a while it's ok.

loretta
Genuine user

Post by loretta » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Could i ask one more question please. My gastroenterologist prescribed me amoxicillin twice daily (1gm),
while the gp prescribed my husband the same amount but in 4 doses of 500mg. Does this work the same
way as twice daily? (i don't know why she did that, it's so much easier to take antibiotics twice than 4 times
daily. Could he take two pills of 500mg together morning and night?
Also, should we take all 3 medicines at the same time or wait a few hours between them?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:52 am

I think the doctor is hoping that taking 4 times a day, the level of amoxicillin can maintain high in the blood stream, which i think it's logical. in our clinic, we give 1g amox, 3 times a day and works pretty well.

your idea of taking two times a day will work too. However, it is best to talk to your GP, because they know your bacteria best in your local region.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”