My Story: Being tested for HP

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

KPS71
Genuine user

My Story: Being tested for HP

Post by KPS71 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am

I had a Gastric Bypass December 2002. I remember calling my surgeon when it was coming up on my 1 year anniversary because I was having stomach pains (a burning sensation) when I would first wake up or if had been awhile since I ate last. He told me I just had an ulcer and he called in a prescription of Omeprozale for me. I remember being prescribed those pills many times over the years since then. I had lost 100 lbs with the Gastric Bypass in right about a year. Then I slowly put back on 60 lbs. My GP tested my thyroid several times. I don't eat much so they couldn't figure out why I've gained much of the weight back. I was left feeling upset with myself because this procedure failed for me.

2010 I drove over from Phoenix to Las Vegas Super Bowl weekend. I sat down to play a poker tournament and I had 2 rum & diet cokes. I started feeling bad so I went back to my hotel and went to sleep. In the morning I woke up in so much pain I couldn't stand it. My stomach was burning so bad and I was nauseous. I felt so bad I went to the ER. They diagnosed me with an ulcer (again) and told me to follow up with my GP when I got home. I ended up seeing a GI doc and I had an endoscopy. He said he ulcer was healed and all looked fine except I had a golf ball size ball salad that was in my stomach. I was having trouble processing salad and raw vegetables.

Over the last year I've been having a lot of burning in my stomach. Then about 3 months ago I started getting nauseous and I lost about 15 lbs without trying. I've had very little appetite. My symptoms would get much worse while I was working. I deal poker and the table would cause pressure on my stomach when I would reach for the poker chips. I would work about 3 hours then I would have to ask to leave because I was in so much pain. The burning would subside when I would drink milk.

My symptoms include: lack of appetite, burning stomach, gas, bloating, I had a few black tar like stools, fatigue, when stomach is burning it is sensitive to being pushed on, diarrhea, when I start getting the burning stomach I get a pain down my left arm and I start feeling lightheaded.

I would have went to the doctor but I was without health insurance since my husband and I got divorced 4 years ago. I finally got on the Obamacare so I went to an Urgent Care clinic. (I don't have a doctor currently.) At the Urgent Care, I asked them to test me for H Pylori. They do the breath test there. After I drank the mixture, the nurse left me in the room and said I was to wait for 15 minutes to blow in the bag. I tried really hard but I couldn't keep the mixture down and I threw it up after 5 minutes. So, they couldn't do the test. They prescribed me some Ranitidine 2 times per day. I've been taking that and I'm starting to feel better. They put in a referral to a GI doctor and I have an appointment for next week. I will ask for a stool test.

My son is almost 17 and he is having similar symptoms. I took him in to see a doctor and they gave me a stool test kit to take home and bring back. I'm still waiting on my son to do the test!

I grew up in Alaska and I drank well water for about my first 20 years of life. I'm guessing (if I have H Pylori) that I got it from well water. Thinking back I can remember having symptoms as far back as 20 years ago. I remember in my mid-20's noticing that all of the sudden I HAD to eat breakfast or I felt sick. I was never a breakfast eater before. I will be really surprised if it isn't H Pylori. I have been miserable for the last few months. I have gone from being extremely active socially to hardly leaving my house. And not being able to work for very long is making it hard to survive financially. I just want whatever this is OUT OF MY BODY!

The urgent care I went to gave me my blood work report and I had a nurse friend of mine decipher the results for me. She said it indicates I'm anemic and my glucose is a bit high. I remembered I have been told I was anemic several times over the years. I can't believe I've never been tested for this before. I didn't even know what this was until a few weeks ago when someone mentioned I should be tested. When I looked up H Pylori, it all started making sense.

Looking forward to getting some answers! Thanks for reading!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: My Story: Being tested for HP

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your story.
please keep us posted with your stool test result.

KPS71
Genuine user

Post by KPS71 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:22 am

Should I quit taking the ranitidine 24 hours before I expect to be tested?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 am

there is no need for 24 hours. Just dont take ranitidine early in the morning when you wake up and go straight to get the test done.

KPS71
Genuine user

Post by KPS71 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:41 am

I had my appointment with the GI doctor today. She listened to me describe my symptoms. She agreed that it could be H Pylori. She pushed a bit on my abdominal area. Just the upper area hurts. She set me up with an endoscopy and a biopsy. She said she will be able to tell if I'm positive from the biopsy.

I have that appointment on March 27th. Then I have a follow up with her on April 4th.

I feel stupid when I explain how long I've been having some of these symptoms. It's embarrassing.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 am

it's ok. the endoscopy will give a more accurate result. looking forward to seeing your result on the 27th March.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”