Life is in shambles

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Lakme
Genuine user

Life is in shambles

Post by Lakme » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Hey. So I found out about this bug after I spent some time lounging around in a Pernicious Anemia forum. The reason being is because the b12 tablets. quelled a lot of my initial symptoms, including anxiety. After I learned about h pylori, I swung by a store to buy some Manila honey and I felt wonderful.

I believe I caught this bug a year ago, from food poisoning. I developed severe anxiety immediately after. I started seeing rings around lights and believed I had glaucoma. Also had the feeling of something being behind my eye. Went to the eye doctor and she said my eyes were just a bit dry. It got much worse in the weeks to come. I couldn't focus. My left arm and leg were really really bothering me. They just felt weak. I thought I caught tetanus because I used an old razor to shave. My anxiety was screaming at me. "Go to the doctor or else you're going to die!" My only gastro symptom then was constipation and this weird pressure in my stomach. I didn't think that a bug could cause so many symptoms.

I told my doctor that I had constipation after I got the food poisoning and I kept researching and trying to find if there was any food poisoning bug that could stay inside of you for longer than a couple days. I developed severe pain at the back of my neck at that point, and I was convinced that it was meningitis. My grandmother and the doctor laughed at me. They didn't know what was wrong, but I was on a single antibiotic med and a couple other things for diahrrea and anxiety. I'll admit I didn't think anything about the weight loss back then, because the doctor put me on a special diet for the antibiotics. I felt so out of touch with reality. I couldn't focus no matter how hard I tried, and I was googling my symptoms every 5 seconds. One day, I woke up and headed to the grocery store to pick up my prescription for elavil, an anxiety medication and for the tinnitus I developed. I accidentally spilled my antibiotics into the sink the day before, so naturally, I didn't finish my treatment, even though it wasn't triple therapy. It helped nevertheless. Anyways, after I came back from the store I felt a sudden rush of energy. I felt way better than before, and suddenly I could communicate with people properly and sit on my laptop and read. I started taking the Elavil from then on because I was convinced by my doctor that my anxiety was causing all of my problems. Now, although I didn't feel very many physical symptoms from then on, the mental symptoms were unmistakable. I tried my best to avoid being around my family. I just felt really uncomfortable around them and I didn't know why. I would avoid get togethers and leave the house whenever visitors came. I was being very aggressive towards my friends for no reason, and I ended up not talking to them for a while after. I figured that it had something to do with the antidepressants. I felt fine, but I just couldn't enjoy anything anymore, or focus when I was reading. In early September, I developed stomach pain. I was in the hospital visiting my cousin, who became really disfigured after he was attacked by a drug dealer. I won't go into the detail but I felt that pain then and it got worse over time. It was really uncomfortable. There was mucus in my stool, it came out yellow sometimes, and I think I even saw blood once, which is why I called my doctor asap. She ran a blood test and there was nothing. No blood. She didn't do a culture test, perhaps I wouldn't be the way I am now, but it's a little to late for that. I stopped taking the antidepressants because I believed that was what was causing the pain, and my anxiety skyrocketed. I was convinced then that I had pancreatic cancer. I spent several sleepless nights rolling over in anxiety. I visited a different doctor and he told me ibs. After that, I started to take immodium, because an old teacher of mine told me it might help. It didn't. The bloating got 100x worse. I couldn't stomach a meal. My stools started to fall apart as soon as they hit the toilet bowl. I was so drained of energy that I couldn't even sleep, and to make things worse, my anxiety was making me see visions of what my insides must have looked like, and thoughts of myself dying a couple weeks to a month later because nobody listened to me. For most of my life I've avoided doctors like the plague. I've always been deathly afraid of needles. I got a blood test and a urine test, and a couple weeks later, everything came out fine. Not even raised liver enzymes or anything like that. I even went so far as to ask specifically for a blood test to see if there was anything wrong with my pancreas. Bilirubin direct was perfectly fine. I was relieved, but I was still losing my mind. I felt dizzy, I play a lot of video games and I couldn't even shoot straight. All of the joy was taken out of my life. My doctor prescribed me Paxil, and a couple days after I began taking it, the swelling just magically went away. "What?" I was astounded. I didn't feel dizzy anymore, everything felt like it was normal again. Granted, I still went back and forth between my chair and my bed. My feet and hands felt like blocks of ice but I felt normal.

I woke up at 5 am the next morning and I couldn't breathe. My eyes were dilated, my heart was beating out of my chest and I could barely walk. My leg felt stiff as a rock and my grandma drove me to the hospital. I thought to myself. "This is it, I'm going to die." I thought I was having a stroke. When I got to the hospital, the guy that brought me in there let me suffer for about 10 minutes before my symptoms cleared up. They said I must have had a nightmare or something, which I didn't. I told them that I had already taken the Paxil 3 days beforehand and nothing like this had ever happened in the days prior.

They discharged me and said it was anxiety. I was instructed to keep taking the antidepressants, and I did, because for some reason it was the only thing that made the swelling go away. It was a bad idea, however. It didn't happen every time I took the pill, but whenever I was taking it, some days I would wake up with those exact symptoms. I could feel the reaction coming on, and I thought to myself: "oh, crap, here it comes. I hope this time it doesn't kill me." My heart rate would suddenly skyrocket, I would get this tight feeling in my neck, I got hardcore chills and my eyes would dilate. I stopped taking the Paxil altogether and I never had that same experience again. I read somewhere that all of these weird problems could be attributed to a vitamin deficiency, so I swung by the store and bought multi vitamins. I popped a couple, and about thirty minutes later, the swelling was gone. I could eat again, and my anxiety was mostly gone. My brain fog started to clear up. I don't know what it was with that specific multivitamin, perhaps the fish oil or something else, but I felt spectacular. Not entirely back to normal, but somewhat okay. The strangest thing was, I felt like the longer I was taking those vitamins, the lord I would suddenly need. Like something was stealing it from my body. This all carried on until I went to the doctor to get a vitamin b12 shot, and guess what? All of my symptoms magically disappeared! My dry eyes were suddenly producing tears again, I could focus and think straight, and I could feel the bottom of my stomach whenever I drank some chocolate milk. My lymph nodes had suddenly shrunken down. I was utterly convinced that I had pernicious anemia. To me nothing else could explain the symptoms. The gastritis, the constipation etc. But my body was demanding more and more vitamins. I was told by someone on the PA forum that my stomach swelling symptoms didn't make sense in the context of the disease and that it sounded more like h pylori. I thought to myself: "Ridiculous! A little bug couldn't be doing this much crap to my body!" I had some honey in my kitchen cabinet. I know the whole holistic medicine thing is actually Manuka honey, but even swallowing a teaspoon of the pure honey made my stomach settle down a bit. I started taking sublingual b12 tablets and I swung by a Trader Joe's to pick up some manuka honey. I have a strange feeling the b12 is feeding the bacteria, but anyhow, as soon as I ate some of that Manuka honey, there was vast improvement in my symptoms. I still get pains now and then, but the swelling isn't a living hell like it was before. My fatigue has been getting worse lately. I've spent months so far having 12 hour sleeps and now it's even worse. I was having hardcore chest pains every morning until I stopped taking the b12 as frequently as I was. I ended up in the ER again a few days ago and they did a chest x ray and blood test which revealed absolutely nothing. I've got raised lymph nodes everywhere and they still can't find a damn thing. I don't have a fever. I actually haven't gotten a cold in months which is abnormal for me. My nails have white beds, which isn't normal for me. I noticed that they don't grow as quickly as they used to. My feet turn red whenever I get in the shower. I hardly sweat if not at all. My eyes are as dry as living hell and throughout this whole ordeal I've lost about 17 pounds since early October. I weighed 147. I'm 130 now and I look like a damned twig. When I went to the ER, I was laying in bed, getting my blood drawn, thinking. "This is it. They're gonna tell me I have stage 4 cancer, and I'm going to die." and neither the blood test or the chest x ray showed anything. I'm still trying to keep it together. I'm only 20 years old. I don't have a family history of cancer whatsoever, but I still manage to convince myself of it. I've been through a lot my whole life. I spent a long time being depressed and then I suddenly got hit with this. Life is hell right now, and I'm still waiting until I'm not constipated enough to take a stool sample to my doctor so I can get this over with. So far I haven't seen anyone who's had it as bad as I do right now, and I've had this damn thing for over a year without even realizing it.

I just wanted to talk about everything I'm going through right now. I really wanted to get started with college and a job before this thing kicked me right in the ass. Now I have to deal with all of these ER bills and I don't even have insurance cause I was sitting on my butt all day when I first got sick. Thanks for reading. It's been a long journey.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Life is in shambles

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 am

Thank you for sharing your story. So, have you done a proper diagnosis of H. pylori? if you had and confirmed the infection, perhaps you want to try get rid of this bacteria.

H. pylori is known to associate with anemia and b12 deficiency. Many patients recover from low iron and b12 deficiency after H. pylori eradication.

Lakme
Genuine user

Post by Lakme » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 am
Thank you for sharing your story. So, have you done a proper diagnosis of H. pylori? if you had and confirmed the infection, perhaps you want to try get rid of this bacteria.

H. pylori is known to associate with anemia and b12 deficiency. Many patients recover from low iron and b12 deficiency after H. pylori eradication.
I'm supposed to deliver a stool sample to my doctors office. However, I'm wondering whether it's best to continue investigating h pylori or to see a gastroenterologist and request an endoscopy. I've been like this since October. I'm not sure if I'd be dead by now if I had stomach cancer but it's starting to scare me. I was in the ER the other day and they still couldn't find anything on a chest X Ray or blood test. I've been getting progressively worse and I'm not sure if I'm still losing weight or not, but I'm sure as hell not gaining it back. I'm only 20 years old and I'm worried about dying of cancer. I just want my life back.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 pm

young people dont get stomach cancer easily. if you live healthily, like eating fruits and vege, no smoking and drinking, in addition with your other health checks, your chance of having stomach cancer is almost zero.

if endoscopy can give you a peace of mind, you should do it as soon as possible. you need a positive thinking. negative thoughts will only make it worse.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”