Need some advice

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

svb
Genuine user

Need some advice

Post by svb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi,

My wife is suffering from many complaints. She doesn't believe H. Pylori can cause all this and thinks it must be cancer.
What didn't help is that the doctor we saw today (first time) kinda pushed her even more in that direction. He said all blood markers you can't trust and the way how she looks now can't be caused by pylori, so it must be something more serious than that, so something like cancer.

Last June she had something that looked similar as now, but much less intense. Things like refluxing, nausea. We tried to change her diet somewhat and at the end of summer it was away.
End of November it stroke hard. refluxing, heartburn, bloating, etc. Went to a doctor, conclusion, take ppi's, test yourself for gluten and all will be fine. We figured out that she also had at that time a candida infections. For that she took medication and we got rid of it. The problems stayed however. Currently the problems are a lot of refluxing, heartburn, difficulties swallowing, nausea reaction when taking a little bit of food. She was never big (40-42 kilo), but now she lost a lot of weight (current 30-31). The problem is that due to all these complications she can hardly eat or drink.
Next problem she has her whole life already is that she's not able to swallow pills. The medication should be in IV form.

We have visited already many doctors, none of them coming with a good suggestion. We did many tests, Ultrasounds, blood tests, MRI, Xray, stool, urine. The only test missing is the endoscopy, but that one she fears to death (swallowing issue). The last blood tests (two) showed much higher numbers on the IgG, (to me) confirming an Pylori infection.

My questions to you, could this all be caused by pylori? I think that pylori in combination with low stomach acid is the root cause of this all.
I live in Russia, unfortunately I don't master the language, so I'm not able to talk to the doctors here myself which is extremely frustrating and you get hopeless and desperate. She is way to weak to go to another country (she's Russian). Does anyone know an English or Dutch speaking gastroenterologist who I could have a call with?

She really needs help, but the medical quality is so low here.
For my feeling I have read the entire internet already, but that does not convince her and I can't get a prescription with that.

Thanks in advance.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Need some advice

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 am

if she suspect she has tumor or ulcers, she should get endoscopy done. She can be sedated and wont know anything during the endoscopy examination.

Since she has been diagnosed with HP, she probably should just go ahead and start taking the treatment.

H. pylori can lead to poor appetite. You get moody when you are hungry.

svb
Genuine user

Post by svb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks for your answer.

How likely would it be that when treating the H. Pylori, the reflux/nausea symptoms will be less/gone?
It's not that she doesn't have appetite, she wants to eat, but most of the times when taking something, she gets immediately a nausea attack, which prevents her from eating in the end. Same counts for drinking.

The idea of a tumor is based on no evidence so far. She just thinks that H. Pylori can never cause this all so it must be something more serious. The cancer blood tests, ultrasound, mri, didn't show anything related to cancer.

I understand that an endoscopy would be clarifying a lot, just traumas from the past prevents her from doing it. She has been sedated before which didn't go well, she still felt the operation for some part.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:39 pm

H. pylori usually only cause problem in the stomach. But, the frustration of constant pain; the constant care of what to eat and what to avoid; the knowing of having the infection and risk of cancer; etc

all this worries can sometimes become a problem somewhere else.

most people, after treatment, reflux symptoms recover (like myself). However, there are some unfortunate ones, reflux symptoms dont recover immediately.

Carlospit007
Genuine user

Post by Carlospit007 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

May I ask Helico Expert how much time did your reflux symptoms last? in my case, my H.pylori was eradicated in February 2017 had on and off mild reflux and heartburn after the eradication, though all the other symptoms went away 100%. was 100% symptoms free for 2 straight months I couldn't believe it I was only using tums from time to time and probiotics every morning after eating but no PPI! but now the reflux and heartburn have returned again for the past 3 or 4 days!! so frustrating what can I do? is this still normal? wanted to mention that at first when my tummy started bothering me 8 months ago I quickly went to the doc and he quickly discovered the H pylori and treatment was done immediately and later confirmed by a breath test... so is not that my tummy was bothering for years and years. thank you!!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 pm

i am the lucky one because my symptom goes away almost immediately after my triple therapy.

If you think you may have H. pylori back again, you can do another UBT.

otherwise, you probably have to monitor your diet, perhaps there is something that agitate your stomach. Sometimes when i dont feel comfortable in my tummy, i drink mint tea and it works for me. Some other members in this forum also tried probiotics and honey. I think most importantly is to make sure H. pylori is truly gone. Then only you can focus on the recovery.

Carlospit007
Genuine user

Post by Carlospit007 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. But isn't very hard to get reinfected? My symptoms aren't so bad but I just want them to go completely away.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:08 am

it's hard to get reinfected, but it's not impossible. Assuming that your previous breath test was done correctly.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”