Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

IGG Negative/IGA Positive?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

loverinthecold
Genuine user

IGG Negative/IGA Positive?

Post by loverinthecold » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi All,

New to this forum. Just diagnosed and starting treatment for H. Pylori. Nervous with so few answers from the doc. Tested a clear negative in the IGG test, but very positive in the IGA test. Is this common?

Thanks for any insight.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: IGG Negative/IGA Positive?

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:35 am

Hi,

IgA is the main antibodies in the stomach. So it's common. The IgG, depending on the supplier of the test kits. maybe not as specific. But it doesnt matter. As long as one of them is positive, it's an evidence that you were previously infected.

to know if you are currently infected, you'll need a breath or stool test.

loverinthecold
Genuine user

Post by loverinthecold » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for the response. My doctor seems a bit confused on the tests. When I asked to clarify why one would be positive and one negative, they said that IGA tests for active infection and IGG tests for prior infections. If I'm understanding you right, it sounds like both IGA and IGG test for antibodies from prior infection and only stool/breath test is for active infections.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

well, IgA is more of a mucosa antibody. you'll find IgA at places like eyes, lungs, stomach, etc where is moist and exposed. IgG is more often in the blood stream.

in the beginning of infection, you'll get IgM. after a while, the B cell then matured into producing either IgA or IgG.

loverinthecold
Genuine user

Post by loverinthecold » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:49 am

This is very useful information. Thank you very much.

I recently read a study that seemed to correlate high IgA antibody levels with a higher rate of gastric cancer than high IgG levels. Am I understanding this correctly? Should I be worried about future gastric cancer after h pylori treatment or that something could already be brewing in there because of my high IgA?

Thanks for your time.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:12 pm

there are three factors that lead to stomach cancer.

1. genetic. if you inherit cancer gene, with or without H. pylori, your risk is higher than average.
2. environment. smoking, alcohol, high salt, and exposure to other pollutants would increase the risk of stomach cancer too.
3. pathogen. H. pylori is actually the least important factor. However, with any of the above factors, H. pylori can catalyze the development of gastric cancer.

Anyway, if you did your endoscopy and found nothing, then there is nothing to worry about. gastric cancer is scary, but it takes a long time to develop.

loverinthecold
Genuine user

Post by loverinthecold » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I haven't done an endoscopy yet. I'm just finishing up my two week course of triple therapy. Strangely, for the first 4-5 days of treatment I was feeling better than I have in months. No nausea, lots of energy and generally no problems. Then boom, around day 6 or 7, it was all back again. I haven't missed a dose and timed them all perfectly. Do you know of any reason treatment would work for the first several days and then stop? Can h pylori bacteria compensate and become antibiotic resistant mid way through treatment? I have an appointment for this week to talk about the failure of my triple therapy, should I ask to be put on quadruple therapy with different antibiotics right away?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:08 am

if you read through the forum, actually many people experience the same. So the protocol is, try complete the treatment, then wait one month and do a follow up breath test to confirm the eradication.

if symptoms persist and need to take medication to control acid, can choose H2 blocker such as Ranitidine. Dont take PPI. Can continue H2 blocker until the day before breath test.

if breath test came back positive after a month, then try a different set of antibiotics and repeat the process.

if breath test came back negative after a month, then try different drugs to control your symptoms and observe another few months.

it is common that some people's stomach take longer time to recover.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”