Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Endoscopy biopsy and antibiotics question

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

birdgirl
Genuine user

Endoscopy biopsy and antibiotics question

Post by birdgirl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi All - I am an American woman living in Ecuador. I was diagnosed with H Pylori in June from an endoscopy biopsy. Before getting the H Pylori positive results (it took a week) and two days after the endoscopy I did a stool test because I was desperate to know what was wrong with me and start treatment. The stool test came out negative, but then I got the positive from the biopsy. I did a two week course of triple therapy and felt somewhat better - the intense heartburn went away but the hunger pangs/gnawing feelings kind of plateaued and stuck around. I took 3 stool tests during the interim, all of which came up negative. About a month ago in Nov I started having intestinal pain, so it was recommended that I take antibiotics (metronidazole, but the H Pylori in Ecuador is resistant against it) and that I then deparasite myself (usually recommended to be done here once every 6 months) with flubendazole and ornidazole. The intestinal pain got better, but immediately after stopping the antiparasitic the gastritis symptoms worsened significantly, almost to the point of pretreatment back in June. Now I've decided that I want to get another endoscopy biopsy to see if H Pylori is still present. There are no breath tests available in my area, and since none of my stools have come up positive, even the one two days after biopsy, I prefer to go straight to the biopsy. So here's the question. Would the antiparasitics (flubendazole and ornidazole) affect the biopsy results and how long should I wait after stopping them to do the biopsy. I'd like to do it as soon as possible so I can at least start a course of PPIs while I'm awaiting the H Pylori results. Thanks

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Endoscopy biopsy and antibiotics question

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 am

both the antibiotics and PPI may affect the endoscopy results as well. So you'll need to stop both for at least a month before the endoscopy.

During that one month waiting period, if you are experiencing heartburn or any other symptom that you think you need to take PPI, you can replace PPI with H2 blocker. eg. Ranitidine. You can continue ranitidine until the day before stool test or endoscopy.

birdgirl
Genuine user

Post by birdgirl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:36 pm

Thank you. Would you think I need to wait until a month after the antiparastics (ornidazole and flubendazole) too?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:16 am

yup. have to wait for a month after those.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”