Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Withdrawing From PPI For Stool Test

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

cricket92
Genuine user

Withdrawing From PPI For Stool Test

Post by cricket92 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Today is the 6th day that I have had to stop Dexilant because I take the stool test in a week. I am managing, had some acid come up the first two days but now burping a lot. Does it get worse for the next few weeks or is the worst part usually the first few days?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Withdrawing From PPI For Stool Test

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:47 pm

you should talk to your GP, ask him about giving you Zantac or any H2 blocker.

Here is a guideline for Breath test. It works for stool test too.

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

cricket92
Genuine user

Post by cricket92 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks, helico. I have seen that chart. I really was planning to go off Dexilant anyway and switch to Zantac and wean off that or go back on Dexilant with a few granules, tapering (I always open the capsule and take about 20 mg a day). I am taking Mylanta when it gets bad and it helps some. He told me to not take Zantac until after the test. I know the internet says differently but if I can manage, it's only a matter of another few days. I should have the blood test results tomorrow and he wants me to take the stool test also, which I will do in a few days. I read that the blood test is very accurate but I guess he wants to make absolutely sure. Would you rely on the blood test alone if it were you?

After I eat lunch or dinner, even though it's mild food, I feel like I have an elephant in my esophagus and can't stop burping. I am just wondering if I hold out for the 14 days with nothing, does it get worse or is the worst over? What pattern do most people follow when they withdraw abruptly, if you know?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Zantac and Mylanta are fast acting medication that neutralize acid. You should continue taking in the morning when you just wake up or 30 min before the usual time that you get burping. It is important to neutralize the acid to prevent acid burning on your throat.

A blood test after treatment is a waste of money. Because the principle of blood test is to detect anti-H. pylori antibody and that antibody will stay in your blood for weeks, months or even years. So the chance of false positive is very high.

In the European consensus guideline, patients must not use blood test to determine if the treatment is successful. Patients should be given either breath or stool test to verify the treatment.
Statement 20: The UBT or a laboratory-based validated monoclonal stool test are both recommended as non-invasive tests for determining the success of eradication treatment. There is no role for serology.
Anti H2 drugs may also lead to some false-negative results but to a much lesser extent94 ,95 and the panel did not find it necessary to stop them before testing if using citric acid.
http://gut.bmj.com/content/61/5/646.full

cricket92
Genuine user

Post by cricket92 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:52 pm

You said a blood test is a waste of money after treatment. I never had treatment. I did have an endoscopy a few years ago and he checked for h pylori and none was found.

I still would love someone to answer my question about when the symptoms of withdrawal are the worst if someone takes no antacids. Just from what you have seen here, is it worse at the beginning or does it progressively get worse as the days go on? I do plan to take the antacids and appreciate your suggestions but would like to know the experience of other people here.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:29 am

i am sorry, I missed understood what you said by "6th day". I thought you were on antibiotics.

Then, yes, a blood test would be useful, as it will not be affected by the PPI or H2 blocker you are taking.

The "withdrawal" symptom that are experiencing is unfortunately subjective. Not everyone has the same experience. I suppose it is worth finding out why are you experiencing the burping. Do you take any aspirin or NSAIDs by any chance?

cricket92
Genuine user

Post by cricket92 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:51 am

I had the blood test Monday, a week ago and should get the results tomorrow. He still wants the stool test so I have to wait a little longer and then submit it. I don't know why it's necessary. The blood test is supposed to be very accurate. But I figure I got this far, I can go another week off the PPI but this is SO uncomfortable.

I have not taken any Nsaids or aspirin at all. I guess this is just the backlash people talk about. Not so much acid coming back into my throat, just feels like a full feeling, unpleasant after I eat and the gas...where is it all coming from!

Right after the stool test, I am going to go wean off properly and gradually. This is crazy, he didn't even tell me it could be this bad. He said no Zantac and even though the net says yes and you said yes, maybe he saw different studies...I don't know but am following his advice and sticking to Mylanta and Tums until the test.

You have been so kind and I am going to post my blood test result if I get it tomorrow.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:49 am

looking forward to reading your blood test result.
:)

hopefully you are positive of H. pylori. at least we know what are we dealing with.

cricket92
Genuine user

Post by cricket92 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:20 pm

I got the result from the blood test. It's negative. I am still going to wait out the 14 days and take the stool test to be sure. I am glad it's negative because I don't react well to antibiotics, I get nauseous. If the stool is also negative, I'll probably get an endoscopy. I was under a lot of stress when the pains started and I have had IBS since I am a child, just a nervous stomach. So hoping that's all it is. I did break down and take a Zantac this morning. The Mylanta wasn't doing enough. I read that the blood test is pretty accurate so I'm wondering if the stool is even necessary. Not a big deal but I got this far into withdrawing from the PPI so may as well take the test. How accurate is the blood test alone (remember I have not had h pylori in the past)?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:01 pm

H. pylori is pretty accurate. A negative result is usually not wrong. A positive result can sometimes be false positive, especially after antibiotic treatment.

if it is not too much trouble, a stool test can be done, just to be 200% sure.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”